Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Searching with three letter words

I have often found that the forum thread search function does not always find what it should.

I think the reason is that the MySQL database this forum software uses has the default limit of searching only words with at least four characters. However the limit could be easily be changed to minimum three characters so widening the ability for the search to find more. I have done this my self with many web applications successfully.

There are now many three letter words and acronyms, that fail to be found (K2D, HDR, LBA etc.)

I don't know if the forum administrators have the access to modify mysql server settings, but one can ask the host, maybe.

Maybe not a big deal, just thought I wanted to suggest this.

01-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Gawan,

As much as I would myself like to lower the search limit to 3 characters, changing the ft_min_word_len value to 3 in MySQL would require me to convert the forum search type from the vBulletin default to fulltext. Because this operation risks a significant amout of downtime, I don't want to carry it out, seeing that the forum software, with all the modifications I've made, is running free of bugs at this time.

Thanks for bringing this up, however- in the future, once I upgrade the forum to vBulletin 4.0 (it would be save to say that its release is still at least a year away), I will likely also convert the search tables.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: