Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haven't been on Pentax Forums in ages.

I've just logged on today after not having for a long time and wow have this forum grew, and I just checked the Pentax web store and wow they have those "EVIL" cameras now (at least that's what it was called at the time, don't know about now).

I don't know where to post this but I feel like it doesn't deserved to be posted in the DSLR discussion portion of this forum or Beginners portion either. So here we go....

I am just checking in because I missed my K-2000 that I bought years ago and my K-7 also that replaced it. I am just checking in to see if there will be a new camera announced soon, whether anybody know about it or not. Otherwise I will buy a new K-5 within the next few months of saving up money. Also how are the "EVIL's" doing? Are they better than their DSLR counterparts in term of AF speed and accuracy? Anything else I will need to know before deciding? Thanks for the time reading this post and insights appreciated!

02-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong section, but in any case, yes, we will see two new DSLRs this year (a K-r replacement and a 24Mp K-5 replacement) and probably nothing else as far as cameras go. There will be one more lens, though, and next year, we can hope for some sort of full-frame (whether it be an SLR or mirrorless).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
a 24Mp K-5 replacement
Really ? I thought the consensus was that, this 24mp sensor would reduce high iso quality and pentax would be using the newest 16mp sensor in k-5 replacement
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey LeDave...welcome back! there have been a few members I have noticed back these past few days.

The 16 month cycle for the K-5 should be up in a few months, so we should see something shortly as long as you don't mind being an early adopter.

02-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
I thought the consensus was that, this 24mp sensor would reduce high iso qualit
What good is consensus when it's from people not involved in sensor development...
Let's leave consensus to the engineers working on the next model and then the users who've had the chance to test drive the camera.

Le Dave, check out the K-01, and if you want, the Q system...
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Welcome back!

An evil Pentax K01 has been announced a few days ago (see the front page of this site or google it). Well it is evil with no "ev", so I guess this makes it an "il" camera. It has K-mount and K-5 sensor.

What happened to your K-7?

K-5 is an amazing camera and personally I would pick it over the K01, no doubt. I have it since December and I can not stop being impressed by it. It is the first time ever I do not feel the need to upgrade to something "better".

EVIL vs dSLR: as far as I can see, the general consensus is that dSLR have an edge over EVIL or mirrorless as they are being called now. Mirrorless imho is the way to go for those who compose with the LCD (or need EVF vs OVF - though many mirrorless have no viewfinder what's so ever), value video over stills or prefer the smaller formfactor (some mirrorless as the K01 aren't really smaller though)

As for waiting for the new K dSLR: I'd keep the K-7 instead if you still have it and invest in lenses or buy the K-5. I do not like to pay huge premium for the newest tech with newest bugs

Last edited by vanyagor; 02-13-2012 at 10:15 PM.