Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last Post

Is it possible, and would it be welcome by others, if instead of the "Last Post" button taking you to the last post in the thread, it took you to the last unread post? It's already at the beginning of the thread, but being able to jump right there from the thread list would make things a lot easier.

01-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Further to the left - There's a down-arrow on the left of the Thread Title - that takes you to the first unread.
01-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

That doesn't work for me. Always takes me to the last post. If, when I 1st checked in on a thread and it was on the 13th post, then next checked in on the thread using that link after there have been 113 posts, it takes me to the 113th, instead of the 14th post.
01-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Normally, there are only links to the first and last posts, but when the thread/post is unread, there is also a link to the first unread post (which obviously varies for each forum user). A picture says a thousand words, so here you are:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Let's say I visited a thread at say, 13 posts, 1 page. Then don't go back to that thread for a few days or weeks. Now let's say the count is 151 posts; 11 pages. When I click the link on the left, what page am I supposed to find myself on?

Yes the tool-tip and your description says I should be directed to the 14th post on the 1st page... do I understand that correctly? I do however always find I am directed to the last post on the last page. All the posts in-between where I last read, #13, and the last post, #151, are skipped over.

edit: p.s. it's not a problem that needs your attention IMO; just wanted to mention...

Last edited by m8o; 01-03-2008 at 06:31 PM.
01-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Let's say I visited a thread at say, 13 posts, 1 page. Then don't go back to that thread for a few days or weeks. Now let's say the count is 151 posts; 11 pages. When I click the link on the left, what page am I supposed to find myself on?
Post 151 on page 11 is what you would be taken to- the system defaults to linking you to the latest unread post. If you would like to see the first unread post, you can use the link directly to the left of the "Thread Tools" dropdown.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Yes the tool-tip and your description says I should be directed to the 14th post on the 1st page... do I understand that correctly? I do however always find I am directed to the last post on the last page. All the posts in-between where I last read, #13, and the last post, #151, are skipped over.
No; see above.

Edit- it looks like I mislabeled one of the links on the image! I hope this doesn't bring about more confusion, so just stick with my explanation above.
'First unread post' should read 'Latest unread post.'

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Adam; 01-03-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Error in the image!
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well then isn't that redundant? Are there ever really any cases where the "Latest Unread Post" isn't the last post anyway? First unread post seems like it would be a lot more useful, especially in a really active thread.