Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slow Loading?

Anyone else having trouble with images being slow to load or never coming at all? I'm using Firefox and I notice on some pages (typically in the "Post Your Photos" section) the status indicator gets about 95% of the way across and just hangs. Meanwhile the lower left of the browser informs me that it is waiting for either "c18.statcounter.com" or "google-analytics.com".

Is this something on the server end? On my end? Specific to Firefox? Jesus just doesn't love me anymore?

01-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I've never had the site hang up, but I will say it is the slowest loading site that I visit. I've just put up with it.
01-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

P.S. Jesus still loves you Mikey.
01-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike, For me it seems to depend on the day. Yesterday when I was doing the weeky challenge winners (with several photos), it was very slow. Every once in awhile it can take 1-2 minutes to post a simple comment. I also use Firefox and see the same on the bottom status bar. I just assume there are busy periods as this forum has grown a lot in the past 6 months.

01-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, been slow for me too. Usually happens in the morning. I stopped remarking about it cause I know Mo is usually on top of things.

And whilst I'm at it - thanks for the forum Adam.
01-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i've been experiencing drag for quite some time......refresh button very tired .........
01-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I find the last couple of days there are times when it is very slow. Now I am fairly 'Net Savy' and would not mentioned anything if I did not think it was at least “site related“. Most times it is very quick - a few minutes ago for example it was very slow. I regularly clean my temp IE files , reboot on occasion (as I leave my machine on all the time). Know when my machine is maxed versus a troubled site in IE.

When it is slow I do “tracert www.pentaxforums.com” and I don't notice any serious lag there - so for me at least I have to believe it is IE related as well (I still use XP and IE 6). Sometimes the gif downloads seem to take a while. But other sites load ok of coruse not as content rich as Pentax Forums.

While "Net Savy" not "savy enough" to do much more trouble shooting. If it is too slow I give up and move on - most time (well over 90%) access is fine for me on a DSL 3mb line.

Adam if would like me to run some tests next time it is slow I can just let me know.

01-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

some problems

I do have some problems... but usually they are getting to the site.. not once I am in the site.

It is usually around the same time of day.. between 3:30 - 4:00 MST. I click on my favorites and it just sits there... Sometimes it will happen throughout the evening as well... I figured it was just due to traffic so I just wait or work on something else until I can get it to load..

I have heard bad things about Firefox.. a few other issues with loading certain pages.. but I use IE and XP..

Thats my story!! Kim
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been experiencing similar problems. Firefox often reported a timed out connection. I hope all issues will be solved ASAP, for the greater good.
01-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Patience..

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I've been experiencing similar problems. Firefox often reported a timed out connection. I hope all issues will be solved ASAP, for the greater good.
All websites have their slow moments.. even the best of them.. Google just went down the other day for a short time..

One thing to remember also is the amount of data that it takes to load a picture... included picutres the size and pixleation of some of the ones on this site... That would load any server down...

I am sure Mo is doing what he can to keep it running as best he can. The slowness could just be a slight growing pain...
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IE, Firefox...

It's not specific to IE - I use Firefox regularly too....

I confirmed this because many other sites load quickly while the lag time has (at times) been noticeable here at PentaxForums.com, so it's not an ISP issue (on my side I mean). Therefore that's not an issue, and there are enough people around here to share the new fibre connection to max it out or bog it down. Some of those sites are overseas, so it's reasonably valid as tests go. (I have "rated at" 6Mbps pipe, which regularly tests at 7.7 --> 10Mbps from across the country, and 12-->13Mbps from locations closer to my place.)

There have been response time issues for PentaxForums.com as of late, but I haven't documented those times.

As already mentioned, I think it's simply growing pains, and I am wondering if Adam needs some more donations to help out? I donated twice last year, and it's about time to do it again... hint, hint...

Cheers,
Marc
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Anyone else having trouble with images being slow to load or never coming at all? I'm using Firefox and I notice on some pages (typically in the "Post Your Photos" section) the status indicator gets about 95% of the way across and just hangs. Meanwhile the lower left of the browser informs me that it is waiting for either "c18.statcounter.com" or "google-analytics.com".

Is this something on the server end? On my end? Specific to Firefox? Jesus just doesn't love me anymore?
Looks like this was definitely a problem over at our end yesterday

The site was quite slow for two reasons: first, I set a mass e-mail New Year's greeting to most forum users (about 4,000), and second, we saw a traffic record, with over 80,000 pageloads. Because the peak in traffic occurred at the same time I sent the e-mails, the server load reached a very high percentage and thus the site began running slowly for the next few minutes. After a bit, though, things subsided and the site was back to normal.

Statcounter and/or Google Analytics may also have been down at that time, but that should not prevent forum pages from loading.

I hate to say it, but this may be a sign that we need to move on to a more powerful server. I'll look into that some more if we experience further slowing caused by high volumes of traffic.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You da man - come on all get those '08 pledges in
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Looks like this was definitely a problem over at our end yesterday

[snip]

I hate to say it, but this may be a sign that we need to move on to a more powerful server. I'll look into that some more if we experience further slowing caused by high volumes of traffic.
Adam,

You might want to check out the Grid-Server hosting at MediaTemple.net

I use them for my west coast server needs and they have been great. Their customer service has been superb.

cheers,
Rick
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Adam,

You might want to check out the Grid-Server hosting at MediaTemple.net

I use them for my west coast server needs and they have been great. Their customer service has been superb.

cheers,
Rick
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion! I was myself looking to get a server from SoftLayer Technologies, Inc.- they seem to have quite a powerful selection.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread