Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Validating my Love for the PF Community

Upon learning about the 2011 Holiday Giveaway that PF and B&H Photo were sponsoring, I completed and submitted my original article,Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds, which has recently been published by the PF staff after their initial analysis and vetting of submissions. Initially being very proud of my work, I was very gracious as to the positive reception it received from the PF community.

Thanks to PF Member kenyee, I was informed that the article was featured by Gizmodo and PetaPixel! I was never expecting anything of the sort (how do I collect my royalties? ), and am just glad the information is being made available to a larger audience so that they may benefit from it in some way just like the techniques did for me. Doing a Google search for the article also yielded several blogs and other sites that featured it as well, so I can't help but be extremely proud of my first "published" piece.

But there was one thing that struck me. The comments on several of them, especially those on Gizmodo's site (which you can see by going below the article and clicking DISCUSSION THREADS - ALL, were extremely negative. I am not complaining because my feelings got hurt -- I have extremely thick skin and even prefer criticism over praise so I can see how to improve in whatever it is being referred to -- but rather voicing my observation of the vitriole that seemed to be so prolific.

"Is he one of the officers from the "YMCA" song?"

"Why would you stand like that and post something on the internet? Just asking to be made fun of."

"This is a stable position & should be excellent for low light photography as well as making new friends."

"Well, he clearly has a sense of humour as he is now, undoubtedly, at home pissing himself right now at the thought of anyone falling for this."

'"THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER."
FFFFWWWPPPP.
"THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER."
FFFFWWWPPPP.
"THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER."
FFFFWWWPPPP.
Later in his career, Captain Obvious, became the most decorated warrior of Operation Enduring Fabulous and the Battle of Sumyoungguy.'

"I guess there's always a coping mechanism for everyone discharged from the army. Who'd a thought it'd be striking questionable poses."

"So that's what officers do all day."

"Well he's obviously a bottom... "

"I am in the Army and we do not shoot like that, but then again he was an officer so he didn't really work for a living."
"Agreed, I spent 5 years in the army, I have NEVER seen anyone shoot like that. He probably works in S6 in a BSB somewhere. (Edit comment)"
*Probably an S6 in a BSB is an insult to offcers because it is usually where incompetent ones are placed so they are very far removed from affecting troops in any manner. S6 is the logistics subcomponent most related to computers, networking, etc, and BSB's are "Brigade Support Battalions" that are usually far removed from combat operations as their primary function is to perform the behind the scenes logistical support - a very unglorified group of soldiers within an equally unglorifiedunit as compared to others.

Like I said above, I am not offended nor butthurt, but just surprised. But then again, perhaps my naivete is getting the best of me. Regardless, it was a confirmation of why I love this community. I left the DPRewiew forums because it was so infected with an obsession over gear and brand loyalty that it was toxic. Here, I have felt completely welcome and at home, free of prejudice and judgment, and on the receiving end of criticism that has never been derisive, but rather constructive to help me hone and maintain my passion for my craft.

Thank you, PF, for everything.

-Heie

*I tried to submit the thread, but it said I had to choose one of the three prefixes, and the only one that fit was "Suggestion." So my suggestion is, stay just the way you guys are .

02-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the achievements and not the least to your great work!!

For the comments, all I have to say is a quote from the legendary ABBA manager (the fifth "member", strongly involved in the founding and the commercial success of the group), Stig "Stikkan" Andersson (RIP):

"People are not dumb, they're dumber"...

(The context was some journalist asking him about ABBA and shallow pop music etc.)

Last edited by JFN; 02-23-2012 at 07:34 AM.
02-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I appreciate the effort you put into your article and know i learned some excellent techniques that I will put into use.

The Internet is full of ignorant idiots who get a kick out of criticizing everything that is posted.

See past the inevitable negativity and be confident that your work is valued and appreciated by many.

Kudos.
02-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

First thanks for the great tutorial, I saw it on PetaPixel and didn't realize until later it had been written by someone on PF.

Unfortunately, these kind of comments have become the standard for many of the large blogs like Gizmodo. Scott Bourne's site, Photofocus, has stopped allowing discussion all together, instead inviting people to make their comments through Twitter.

Most of this "discussion" on those blogs serve no real purpose other than allow a place to let people rant, rave and point out the obvious.

I do enjoy the feedback on PF, probably since it is more of a closed forum.

02-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
DAZ
Veteran Member

When Adam post more of the articles (there has been so much good Pentax stuff for him to post he hasnít had room lately) then there will be more of the pointless posts. Wait until one of the articles touches on some sacred cow of someones then you will see the arrows that sting come out. That is the most discouraging thing about writing things like articles. You just have to put on your armor and let the stupid comments bounce off.

DAZ