Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketplace Thumbnails & New Filtering Options

Today I've made two improvements to our Pentax Marketplace: I added a dropdown allowing you to filter threads by the location in which each item is located, and I enabled thread thumbnails.

Both can be seen in the screenshot below:

Name:  mkt.png
Views: 646
Size:  155.4 KB

I hope you enjoy these two enhancements- I think that the thumbnails in particular will make the marketplace much easier to browse!

Regarding thread thumbnails:

The thumbnail displayed is generated from the first external image or first attachment in your thread, as in other sections on the forum.

To add a thumbnail:
1. Click on the "edit button" inside your post
2. Add an external photo (IMG or IMGWIDE bbcode) or click on "go advanced" to add an attachment
3. Save the post and the thumbnail should be visible. You may have to do a hard page refresh if your browser does caching.

To change a thumbnail:
1. Click on the "edit button" inside your post
2. Re-order the images in your post as needed
3. Save the post and the thumbnail should be visible. You may have to do a hard page refresh if your browser does caching.

If a thumbnail does not appear, chances are that your post contains an external photo which our system cannot download (it could have a private URL), or you linked to a photo (URL bbcode / link icon) rather than embedded it (IMG bbcode / picture icon). Should this be the case, remove the external photo and upload an attachment instead. Attachments always take priority over external/linked images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that.

Regards.
03-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very cool Adam!
03-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Adam, sorry I liked it better without the thumbnails.

03-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Excellent upgrade, well done!
03-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice one, however I still miss an item location "Europe" or "EU" for us Europeans. We can shop duty/toll free within the EU.
03-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Hi Adam, sorry I liked it better without the thumbnails.
+1
Where's the option to turn the thumbnails off?
03-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Nice one, however I still miss an item location "Europe" or "EU" for us Europeans. We can shop duty/toll free within the EU.
If you check the "Europe Only" destinations box, you should be able to find all listings within the EU. Now, later on, I may add an option that filters by all EU countries, but for now we ask that you indicate the actual item location.

The thumbnails aren't going away- but you'll get used to them if you don't like them at the moment!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The thumbnails aren't going away- but you'll get used to them if you don't like them at the moment!
I'll interpret that as "I can't do it easily, therefore it's not worth figuring out a way to allow users to turn them off."

So I just set up a filter on my browser to not load images from "/forums/attachments/photographic-equipment-sale/*t*" and there go the thumbnails, but still not as many listings are on the front page as before, so we can look forward to a lot more of those "Bump" posts... thanks!

Last edited by panoguy; 03-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.
03-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It's not that, it's more of a question of appealing to a modern audience. This forum software was originally built in 2000, and so enhancements are necessary from time to time to keep things looking to the crowd (or most of them at least)

You should also block /customthreadicons/ as thumbnails for external images are stored there.

Adam

03-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

IMO it's just so much added clutter. I too would prefer a simple list.
An option to turn off thumbnails would be appreciated.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-30-2012 at 05:40 PM.
03-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now added the "EU" filter to the dropdown. Enjoy!

Adam