Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Mentions System

Well, what about an @Mentions System - maybe something like:

- Mention a user in a post by @UserName
- Code sends "UserName" a private message "You Were Mentioned In A Post" with a link to the post

This could come in pretty handy. VBulletin probably already has a hack published on their site to do this, if not, it would probably take less than 10 lines of php to drop this in.

04-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like this
04-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My mailbox would quickly overflow. Can I opt out?
04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

xenforo (what we have over on CE) optionally notifies you when you get quoted- and while that's a nice feature, I might just hold off with that until I overhaul PF's forum software as planned in 2014.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just checked and there is already a mod for this- and since this fact alone will save me a lot of coding time, I might just go for it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome - kind of figured there would already be something to drop in for this...
04-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just looked at the code for the @tagging system and it looks like it adds way too much overhead (and possible security holes) than is needed, and it won't work on our forum without extensive edits. So, I'm scrapping that, but I did find a nice quote notifier that I will install. I only need to perform a few edits to that to throw out a global query, and then it will be all set

Adam

04-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Awesome - kind of figured there would already be something to drop in for this...
There, the quote notifications should be working now You'll see a notice pop up and then in your user cp you can see where you were quoted.

Adam

04-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So lets see - @StDevious and @RioRico should get a notification from this...
04-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I was just clobbered with 55 notifications. How do I opt out?
04-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I was just clobbered with 55 notifications. How do I opt out?
But I only did one?
04-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
But I only did one?
I think the system must have gone back and notified users for quotes over (at least) the past two weeks. I had 5 this morning for quote dating back to 03/23/12.
04-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I think the system must have gone back and notified users for quotes over (at least) the past two weeks. I had 5 this morning for quote dating back to 03/23/12.
Yep - looks that way, just showed one in the dropdown for me but shows a bunch in the list...
04-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pretty nice little hack as it takes you directly to the post where you were quoted instead of just to the last page of the thread - could be very helpful for those threads that go crazy @ 10 RPM (Replies Per Minute)...
04-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So I ran a script that notified you of stuff dating back two weeks. The opt-opt option in connected to the opt-out for social group notifications and something else.

Right now this only works for quotes (not the at sign), though I could easily make it work using the at sign also.