Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some fun shared account ideas!

I propose, simply because I think it would be fun, the creation of a couple shared accounts, that would be handed off to different forum members to use in a queue. When it was your turn with one of these, you'd be given the password from a moderator, you'd change it, then have it for a week. You could log in and post 'in character' during that week (in addition to your regular login, if you wish,) At the end of that week, you can hand the password to the next person in the queue, and the cycle continues.

Initial Suggested IDs:

McAngry

McAngry is really, really mad about everything, insults everyone, and butts in at odd, inappropriate times with scathing and over-the-top (and thus funny) rebukes.

An example McAngry interaction - say, in the 'Welcomes and Introductions" subforum:

Newbie: Hi, I'm new here from Manitoba, and really am looking forward to shooting my K-5 and getting to know all you Pentax people!"

McAngry: Get out of here.

MrDoh

MrDoh is, to be blunt, terminally stupid. He will enter a thread befuddled and leave even more confused, having perplexed and angered most of the posters in the thread with his incredible misunderstandings, misconstructions and general lack of brain power. Example MrDoh interaction, actually taken from an real interaction last month on dpreview:

QuoteQuote:
QuoteOriginally posted by Marianne Oelund:

QuoteOriginally posted by <hidden>:
I want wild bears. Like the ones I took in years past. As you can see, I wasn't very good at getting close until lately. I've since learned to approach more quietly on foot so they don't get scared away. Plus, I want them to have cubs around so I can play with them!!
That would likely be the last thing you ever do in this world.
You don't know me. I am very good with animals. I have a lot of experience. Like with my pet Shih Tzu - when he gets too rough and bites a little too hard, I stop playing and yell "Owwww! That hurt!!! You ruined the game!" and we have a timeout until he calms down.
It might take the bear cubs a few tries to understand, but they will pick up on that they are being too rough. And I figure it's better to start when they are smaller, that way it won't hurt so much when they bite.

It might be a good idea to use your own ID to 'watch' the situation, so that if anyone gets really mad or confused, you can step in and shut things down, explain, whatever. It's not meant for serious abuse or trolling, just fun and creativity. It would also be fun if the queue was secret, so you didn't know who was posting as the shared account at any given time, and when it was your time with the ID you were just given the password by a moderator or Adam (and then you could own up to it anytime during or after your week if you wished - or dared )

(Note: This is a serious suggestion about serious fun (IMO) - not a sly comment on anyone in this forum. If it's patterned after anything, it's more like what I see in the off-topic non-photography forums on dpreview for example, or posters I see in some of the sci-fi fan forums, etc.)

Thoughts?

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Thoughts?
Well, we already have a real live "McAngry" on the forums here that seems to be mad at the world and everyone that lives in it. I have seen a few "MrDoh"'s around here though it seems they post in a few threads then disappear.

This is a cool idea though, just don't use McAngry around me, I am a very loose canon...
04-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote

This is a cool idea though, just don't use McAngry around me, I am a very loose canon...
Then get in line for the McAngry account yourself!
04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as the password in the possession of more than one person at a time, this would be acceptable, if you want to do it...though the idea seems kind of unorthodox.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As long as the password in the possession of more than one person at a time, this would be acceptable, if you want to do it...though the idea seems kind of unorthodox.
Maybe we should wait to see if there are any objections, I thought it would be very fun when one of these accounts 'pops in' to a discussion, and would give folks the ability to do some creative writing, but I really am not trying to offend and put people off. Maybe it's too fine a line to walk...
04-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can see the merit on a comedic value, the question would be would people behave. Anonymity on the interwebs breeds morons... But mostly people here are good value and if the account was moderated well I think it would be good. Maybe if it had a finite timeframe like 3 or 6 months.