Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Would anyone be interested in an intensive critique group?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this; if a moderator can point me in a better direction I'd be happy to follow.

I am just curious if there is anyone who might be interested in forming a smallish critique group to provide intensive critiques on one another's photos on a weekly basis or so. I'm new here, but I think it would be very productive for my own photography if I could work with a group of 10 or so peers that would critique each others photos regularly. I'm thinking about 10 people, and each week one person would be paired with another photographer and the two would do an in-depth critique on the other's best photo of the past week.

It would be a little different from what the critique forum provides as it would be a handful of people who work very close with one another, learning about one another's styles and such. I know that if I had one photo each week to really dive into and provide criticism of it would improve my own technique greatly, as would having my favorite photo from the past week getting a good thrashing.

That's not to say that 100 people couldn't jump in -- we would just divide into ten different groups of ten photographers.

This obviously wouldn't be for those who just want a few words of criticism of their work -- indeed, I think this forum is itself a wonderful venue for that. But for those who do take a good number of photos each week -- professional photographers, hard-working semi-pros and diehard amateurs -- this might be the next step forward.

If you're having difficulty envisioning what I'm talking about, I'm sort of modeling it off of the small photography clusters we had back in college. If that helps ...

Don't be put off by my low post count -- I only just recently discovered this forum as a resource. I'm in this for the long haul. Would anyone else be interested?

04-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

I would. I'm rather busy lately but would try to participate as often as I could.
04-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested. I need some good honest criticism, and I need a good excuse/motivation to work on my own critical eye.
04-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

I'm game also...

04-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What am I missing here? This is the photo critique forum. That's what it's here for. It was started as a separate forum from PYP for just the purpose you are suggesting.

Moved to forum suggestions, news, and help.
04-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid Jim's right. The critique forum is where such feedback is welcomed. I suggest that if the feedback isn't enough in the critique forum, it's more because there are limited numbers of willing critiquers posting in response to images, and no direct questions in the original posting to stimulate discussion,, rather than there being a deficiency in the forum. Use the forum for what it has, and with a little effort, the forum will be all that it should be.
04-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

@molotschna - you can make your critique group in the Social Groups section:

All Pentax User Groups - PentaxForums.com

This will give your group a way for you and your group to communicate back and fourth between each other. From there you and your group can either post the photos within the group thread or post them publicly in the Photo Critique Forum.

I would post the photo in the Photo Critique Forum (this will give you the added benefit of random users to critique) and then post a thread to the group linking back to the photo thread ->

[Group Post]

Hi guys, I just posted a photo for an in depth analyses, here is the photo to critique: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/183240-people-bokehrama-test.html

[Group Post]

04-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Groups are another way of getting directed attention but the Photo Critique forum would provide broader exposure. It's more important to ask the right questions and be more descriptive in the information that is required to get the most out of a critique entry. Posts that just say 'C&C please' are less likely going to garner a comprehensive response. Asking a focused question such as 'Does the composition in this photo work in portraying the message of _________ in this image?' is more likely to give more meaningful and satisfying responses.