Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Misc Primes in lens reviews

Could the Misc primes in the lens reviews section be alphebetised by ascending focal length?

This would look loads better and make the resource a tad more usable.

04-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on this.

And in the 3rd party section of lenses, there are some more which are obviously just sorted by date of issue. I always have to use the search function. I think it would be better to have it sorted by brand name first, start focal length second.

Edit: This would be the best sorting for someone who was offered a lens, and wants to find out about reviews. If one wants to buy a special focal length and wants to know which brand would be the best, switching my suggested order would be better.
04-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked and that's how they're currently sorted. The issue is that some users don't follow the naming convention when adding lenses.

I've actually developed an external client program that is able to search smartly by focal length. So, for example, if yoiu type in 30mm and include zooms, you'd get every lens satisfying those criteria, I.e. A 16-50mm. Later on, this client program will be made available on PF.
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've actually developed an external client program that is able to search smartly by focal length. So, for example, if yoiu type in 30mm and include zooms, you'd get every lens satisfying those criteria, I.e. A 16-50mm. Later on, this client program will be made available on P
Adam - that sounds great. I've had the reverse problem. Try searching on 135 and you get all the primes and many zooms and who knows what else - maybe where somebody put 135 in the body of the message. One thought is whether you could have a toggle/check box for "prime" or "zoom". Less of an issue for the Pentax lenses which are pretty well grouped but for the non-Pentax lenses it can be a bit of a hodge podge.

04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can already do that via the advanced search page in the lens db, by only selecting the categories you care about.
04-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well guess what feature I've missed out on all this time?
That said, it is a bit tedious if you are looking for all primes of X length from any manufacturer. And you can't search for Pentax and non-Pentax lenses at the same time.
But I appreciate you pointing the search link out to me. I guess I just didn't see it with the much bigger, generic search box right above it.
04-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's the web service. It hasn't been touched for over a year, but it still works!

Pentax Camera Lens Search - Project #2 - Adam Oest

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: