Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Viewing new posts

I think it would be great if when viewing new posts (go to first new post, the arrow icon) only new posts were displayed.
I often cancel a page load and then reload the last new image(s).

05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are automatically scrolled down to the latest new post when you click on that icon (unless you block the JS code that helps facilitate this). You'll also notice that it says "new" in the upper-right corner of the post.

I won't be changing this functionality so that read posts are eliminated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know how it works, I use it all the time.
The request based on a desire was to reduce page load times and bandwidth.
05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clicking on "view first unread" works for me - saves scrolling thru old posts.

05-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
The request based on a desire was to reduce page load times and bandwidth.
It wont do that- images account for the majority of bandwidth. I'm working on moving more and more stuff to CDN's, though!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It wont do that- images account for the majority of bandwidth.
Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps I am not speaking in an understandable way. Please realize I have accepted that you don't wish to implement the feature and am over it. An example;

Say I view new posts in the No more tests, just pictures thread.
Say there are 25 old images and 2 new images on the page. (made up numbers)
Say my browser cache doesn't contain any or many of the old images. (My cache is big BTW, but often reloads from the source url it seems)

Is not reloading the old images not using less bandwidth?
05-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For images hosted on PF, the HTTP request is fired but the server will respond with a 304 (not modified) status code, so assuming that the image is cached, it will not be re-loaded.

Right now, we're using less than 1TB of bandwidth per month, so it's not a big concern. Thanks for the suggestion, though- keep em coming!

Adam