Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get Rid of K-5/K-r Sub-Forums

...or modify them. I'm surprised how often I see threads similar to "need a new lens for my K-5" or "recommend a macro for my K-r" because they don't belong there. They should be placed in the SLR Lens section instead, for example. I've thought about this for a while and considered if I should mention it here, but I rarely visit those sections because I don't have those cameras. However I think there's information there applicable to other members in the forum who also don't use those cameras.

A possible solution: if Pentax finally decides to release a FF camera, have a FF section, APS-C section, MF section (already there), mirrorless (check) and a baby camera (and check) section for the Q. This forum already has a DSLR Discussion section, and I never understood why the K-5 and K-r didn't fit in that category, they are DSLRs aren't they?

05-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'll second the notion. I think those subfora were installed when the cams were new, and comments and questions abounded. Now they're rather superfluous and misleading.
05-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The plan for the future is to either continue with main forums for current camera models, or further categorize things so that we have a sub-forum for each camera or family of cameras. Hope to see some new models from Pentax so we can start making changes!
While the presence of these two forums may seem misleading to Pentax old-timers, they're a big help to newcomer who might otherwise be lost

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Let's categorize things In families then. I was trying to be general in my examples posted, but when I opened my browser I saw the top new post title asking for help with a filter for their K-5!! Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought filters are for lenses, not cameras . There are so any people here acting as if the K-5 is the only camera out there. Maybe I'm being oversensitive (probably am) but I think a lot of people come here for help with issues with their cameras. I would hope Pentax builds reliable enough equipment not every newcomer is here for help with the newest model. What I'm trying to say is I came here for help with front- and back-focusing issues with my K10D and learned about debug mode through a Google search. My camera wasn't the newest model at the time I came here. I understand there were a few issues when the newest camera was released, but what about the rest of the forum members being underserved or missing out on helpful discussions on polarizers? It just seems redundant to have people asking the same questions in three different areas: K-5, K-r and lens or DSLR discussions.

And don't a lot of newcomers end up where they need to go by finding this site (what they're looking for) on Google? I'm just curious on this question because I don't see the analytics, but I'm guessing a lot of newcomers bringing unique hits link from Google as opposed to typing pentaxforums.com/forums in their browser then clicking on K-5 Discussion.

05-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The big issues is many post are in the wrong section . If somebody need a lens , it should be in the lens section not in the camra section. The K-5 section is full of thing that should not be there

Why a need of polarizer in K-5??

Why an An article about focus in K-5?

And this one is the worst , why The new Nikon Cameras!! But with issues too?.... in K-5 ???

Why Best screen ever for manual focus : Canon ee-S!!! in k-5 ???

Please please , I am asking modarator to move them as soon as possible to proper section
You are killing the subcategories
05-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Please report threads that you think are misplaced and they will be moved.

As for the future sub-categories, they will likely be the following:
-(Current High-end)
-(Current Intro-level)
-Pentax K-01
-Pentax 645D
-Legacy DSLRs
>>K-x, K-m, K2000
>>K10D & K20D
>>K200D
>>K100D, K110D, K100D Super
>>*ist D Series

They will all be placed in their own main forum category. Separate from that we'll have the general forums, as we do right now.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll second Adam's request to report seemingly misplaced threads. Some threads could clearly suit both camera and lens subfora but if there are obvious discrepancies, we'll endeavour to rectify them.

05-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As someone who is slightly newer to the forums, I would like to say that I like that there are a K-5 and K-r forums. It makes it easier for new people. Now, sure, this might not be quite as useful anymore, since these cameras have been out for a while, but I think they should be kept in that form at least until the next generation of Pentax cameras is available in-stores. It might not be completely coherent or elegant, but it is easier for new people, and I think this forum is great exactly for that. It is useful for newbies and old-school photographers.
05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What we need is a special "What lens should I buy next" forum, since that question shows up so often, and could get placed into any number of locations...(and I'm saying this only half in jest)
05-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Although confusing at times, I like the separation of Forums by their specific interests, such as the K5 etc. Makes it much easier to locate your current interest. It is after all, what makes this place a little different. Once learned, this is an easy place to navigate and not have to read through a ton of crapola to get what you need. I like that!

Regards!
05-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

How about renaming the camera-model sub-forums as "K5 Forum - camera questions" and otherwise making it clear that lens-filter-tripod-laptop questions go elsewhere?
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The camera-specific forums have been re-organized. What do you guys think of the new format?

Adam

05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Adam,
I think it is a step in the wrong direction. It isn't clear to me why certain camera will warrant forums and others wont. And if I had a question about the K-01, it isn't clear to me where I should post it. One possible alternative is to merge all the DSLR questions into one forum, and then just like when posting photos and you can pick a category (macro, landscape etc.) you could have a way to pick a camera if the question were camera specific, and if it was a more general question, or say a question of how two models compared (and thus could fit into more than one subforum) you would leave the category blank.
Marc
05-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Adam
I liked the way it is . The issue is more peoples just ask questions at the wrong place. I made that mistake also.
I use the Search option with the Button The latest and scroll to see only in the subject I am interested
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam I like how you ask for feedback. Before I say I hate it or love it, I'd have to try it out for a few days. I still think it's redundant to have two DSLR-discussion sections right next to each other (DSLR and DSLR-specific...).

I do however think both of MSL's suggestions have merit and should be considered. A section just for "what lens should I buy next?" and categories for cameras just like the categories in the marketplace, e.g., for sale, for trade and wanted; or as MSL has mentioned in the show your photos sections. That should keep things a bit cleaner.