Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Not happy with marketplace

Just thought I'd voice my disappointment with the current spate of items listed for sale without pricing. I see admins have requested prices be listed in these specifics sales and still no prices and yet they are allowed to continue.

I'd ask that if no prices are posted on any sale then the post should be deleted by admins promptly.

If you agree with my request then I'd ask that you post your support.

Thanks,

David

01-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #2

Yes, I agree. Also there seem to have been quite a few "I might think about selling this but I might not" type posts which could also be deleted, or perhaps moved.

Is there any way of forcing people to read the marketplace rules when they click on "new thread" from within the marketplace?

However, I think in general the marketplace seems to work very well. Just annoying how often I seem to miss out on great deals!

Steve

PS If we're being strict, is this actually the right place for this thread? I mean, you're not actually offering anything for sale/trade, are you?
01-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Considering the number of mods we have now, would it be out of the question to have a setup where there is an enforced template for FS threads and the threads have to be approved before being posted.

Also, photos should be mandatory. The vast majority of us here use DSLRs there is NO excuse to not have photos of what you're selling FROM THE OUTSET unless it's an actual camera body.
01-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree the posts should have the price otherwise put them on the auction e***

01-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I suggest you pm the seller with an offer about 3/4 of what you're prepared to pay. If seller comes back with too high a price you weren't going to buy if he had posted that price anyway, so you've lost nothing. If he accepts your offer or asks for a bit more, you've got a good deal.

To me, not posting a price is less annoying than seeing a very good price and someone already snapped it up
01-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. When posting a for sale item list the price you want for the item. If your not sure of the price list a price and offer or best offer. When you post a wanted to buy then of course post a price you are looking to pay. and those who respond with I have what you want and here's how much I want for it. I know when I posted for wanting to buy my K100 I got some replies asking me how much I wanted to pay. This should not be up to me to say, it is your item and you could set the price, or negotiate with a price in mind. Same way with any for sale item. Give a price and a picture, if the price is negotiable then say so but set a price. We can't read minds.
01-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Gets my vote. Always include prices and photos please...otherwise ebay may be a wiser choice if a bidding war is the intent.

01-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just because a couple of Mods have been added doesn't mean there's isn't enough for them to do already. The board has grown considerably afterall.

As for my vote, I tenth the motion of the OP but also take note Dave's suggestion about Best Offer/Negotiable.
01-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks you all for posting your opinion on the Marketplace. Although this area is my responsibility, I will be the first to tell you that I do not read every post. Even though I am the one to enforce the rules, this being an online community means that it is still up to the community to let the mods/admins know of rule infractions. I have no problem at all making sure that the rules are enforced on this site, I am sorry that I have missed a few as of late. If anyone should see this happening in the future please report the post to the staff and it will be handled.

Thanks!
Jay
01-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David Glazebrook Quote
Just thought I'd voice my disappointment with the current spate of items listed for sale without pricing. I see admins have requested prices be listed in these specifics sales and still no prices and yet they are allowed to continue.

I'd ask that if no prices are posted on any sale then the post should be deleted by admins promptly.

If you agree with my request then I'd ask that you post your support.

Thanks,

David
Hello David,

It's unfortunate that so many users are overlooking the requirement for everyone to post prices along with their items listed for sale. However, I personally find that deleting threads is pointless, since potential buyers that may have read them could be swayed away from making purchases.

Therefore, I urge all markerplace users to always include prices in their "For Sale" threads.

If we continue seeing violations of this rule, I will have to require moderator approval for all threads posted in the Marketplace- that would mean that each new thread would have to be reviewed by a moderator before becoming visible to the public. I do not want to go to this extreme, but I will not hesitate in doing this if it's needed.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this matter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Ole; 01-20-2008 at 04:37 PM.
01-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Perhaps new threads started in the Marketplace should begin with an online form that the thread starter must fill in the relevant fields (Brand, Make & Model, Price, Condition, Contact info, Warranty, Accessories, etc.) before it can be posted. That could satisfy the minimum requirement info for a For Sale ad.

I think mods should delete posts where someone says he or she can buy a similar item at a better price at someplace else. Such price crashing and OT doesn't help.
01-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My guess is that they don't even think of adding a price to their post.
It isn't very hard to just reply to the post asking them how much, or even send them a private message.
01-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Perhaps new threads started in the Marketplace should begin with an online form that the thread starter must fill in the relevant fields (Brand, Make & Model, Price, Condition, Contact info, Warranty, Accessories, etc.) before it can be posted. That could satisfy the minimum requirement info for a For Sale ad.

I think mods should delete posts where someone says he or she can buy a similar item at a better price at someplace else. Such price crashing and OT doesn't help.
It's currently against the rules to comment on prices, so yes, such posts would get deleted.

I'll look into adding a custom form for the marketplace, but instead of doing that, I might just include a long list of requirements that is shown when users click the "new thread" button.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
Ed in GA

Adam, I've enjoyed buying and selling on this forum for quite some time now.

Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me one bit if someone posts an item and doesn't put a price on it. If I'm really interested in it, I can PM the member and ask.

The Photographers marketplace has brought a number of new posters to the forum. Some who only wish to buy or sell and some who have come to stay and contribute in other areas.

If you make posting items for sale, or wanted, as difficult, or more difficult, than posting on e-bay, then you might just as well post on e-bay.

Another thing that might help is to make "Buy and Sell" a subscription item for those who wish to sell, kind of like it is on the Fred Miranda site.

Anyway, whatever you do, don't do so much as to fix something that really isn't broken.

My $ .02

Ed
01-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Adam, I've enjoyed buying and selling on this forum for quite some time now.

Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me one bit if someone posts an item and doesn't put a price on it. If I'm really interested in it, I can PM the member and ask.

The Photographers marketplace has brought a number of new posters to the forum. Some who only wish to buy or sell and some who have come to stay and contribute in other areas.

If you make posting items for sale, or wanted, as difficult, or more difficult, than posting on e-bay, then you might just as well post on e-bay.

Another thing that might help is to make "Buy and Sell" a subscription item for those who wish to sell, kind of like it is on the Fred Miranda site.

Anyway, whatever you do, don't do so much as to fix something that really isn't broken.

My $ .02

Ed
Hi Ed,

It sure is hard to keep everbody satisfied! Regardless, I will do what I think is in the best interest of the users and the Marketplace section in general.

Adam