Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, how slooooooooooooooooow can you go? It hasn't timed out yet today but it sure is slow.

01-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, how slooooooooooooooooow can you go? It has timed out today while I was trying to send this reply.
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now the server is more or less not usable for me, just times out. It seems to me now that this is related to time. because this same time yesterday the server was just the same. earlier it was fine.
01-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've come to the conclusion that the slow performance of the site is caused by the fact that the server load reaches levels that are 3 or 4 times higher than the recommended load average. There's nothing I can do to resolve this on the current server.

I have, therefore, decided to move the site to a new, more powerful server. This will be a quad-core server with a 1-gigabit datacenter uplink. Due to the large size of our site, it will take me some time to move all our content. I plan on finalizing my order with the new host shortly, and this evening, I will begin installing our site software on the new server. Once that's done, I can start moving content over, including the forum database, all attachments, and the photos within the user photo gallery.

Once I begin doing this, most site services, except for the forum itself, will be closed. Right before I transfer the database, I will close the site completely, reconfigure the DNS, and hopefully, the next time you log in, the site will be running off the new server!

Unfortunately, the cost of this new server will also be much greater than that of the current one. I hope that donations will suffice in covering the costs; if they don't, I will have to begin placing banners on the site.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Woo Hoo! Fantastic Adam!

Count on another donation around the 1st when the pay check hits from Uncle Sam.
01-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
Forum Member

I'd proberly still check iowait. It can show up as load as well.

Anyways, I'm prepared to donate a bit from my K20D money as well
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam I will contriubte again and I hope others can if it helps keep the adds off the Forum - please keep us up to date.

Thanks for all the hard work.

01-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #23

Why don't you wait a week? Surely everything will spike then go down a bit after the NDAs are off.

Still, that's only stopgap.
01-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #24
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unfortunately, the cost of this new server will also be much greater than that of the current one. I hope that donations will suffice in covering the costs; if they don't, I will have to begin placing banners on the site.
Adam, be sure to warn us if there's any chance of it coming to this... Perhaps we need a "donations thermometer", w/o $ numbers shown, just having the level from the top, or bottom, serve as a relative meter to the coffers.
01-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I am in this morning and it is snappy - So far so good That was fast Adam you da man !

Please start a thread somewhere or as m80 suggests a donations thermometer of where the balance sheet is for the new server costs.
01-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

YAHOOOOOO!!! Speed. Site is working great. I agree with Dave and M80 on the donations thermometer.
01-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

ZOOOOOOOOM!!!

I LIKE IT!
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I don't know if I can handle all of this speed now, I seem to be running out of threads to read because I'm not waiting for them to open, just click and its there. I (along with many others I would suspect) feel like I've been spoiled with this recent upgrade. THAKNS!
01-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I will be closing this thread since the server more is now complete (by the way, I'm glad you're enjoying the speed- the difference is much greater than I expected), but feel free to continue all discussion and praise here: Server Move Complete! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread