Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

As one who learned the hard way that using the gift option is a bad idea, I fully support this.

10-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I support the move as well! A little insurance is well worth it....just in case that "like new" items, isn't so new....

+1 Thanks Adam.
10-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hallelujah!
10-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Outstanding decision, very professional. I've bought two items the "gift" way and was concerned each time. Fortunately both sellers were of high integrity and I received the lenses as advertised. However in hindsight I should not have bought that way, and decided not to do so again. This opens up the PentaxForum marketplace to me. Thanks.

10-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My policy has been to ask that Paypal payments NOT be sent as "Gift" for quite some time. Glad to see the playing field being leveled.
10-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I like this as well. If someone really wants to recover the paypal fees they can reflect that in their price!
10-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
I understand the concern. But what if the buyer and seller were both well-known, to each other and the forum at large? Perhaps they have had transactions with each other in the past without problem. Why shouldn't the seller offer a price reduction to the buyer, if the buyer is willing to assume the risk that the only problems would be because of shipping, which would be covered by insurance? I don't have a horse in this race, I've never had a gift transaction, but I don't think they're necessarily the sign of a scammer.
then they can do whatever they want. Adam is talking about soliciting the use of the gift option. if 2 people know each other, then do whatever you want. Just don't solicit the use of Pay Pal gift option.

EDIT: I should also add that my comment is about staying in compliance with forum rules, there is still the issue of the Paypal TOS.

Last edited by GregK8; 10-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
10-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

While I have never required gift payments, I have offered people the discount if they chose to make the payment as a gift. More times than not, people choose the gift option to save a few bucks. It can come down to making a sale or not.
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #24

Thank you, Adam.
10-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Whenever possible I've used PayPal's "send an invoice" feature because it eliminates the Gift option. I also like it because it keeps the paperwork nice and tidy. Sometimes, though, it adds an extra step of telling the buyer they need to wait for the invoice to arrive in their email, and many times those buyers are chomping at the bit to get the payment done. I've had several potential buyers PM me with "I want your lens! Give me your PayPal address so I can send the money!" before waiting to find out if they are even the first person to approach me about the sale.
sending an invoice is an excellent idea. it's a good idea to state in your description that an invoice will be sent so there is no question on part of the buyer. always a good idea to state all your terms when you're selling...
10-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
I've never had a gift transaction, but I don't think they're necessarily the sign of a scammer.
One could argue that they (gift payments for a merchandise sale) are the sign of two scammers -- both seller and buyer who are attempting to scam PayPal out of their fee.

You don't have to like PayPal terms, but they are clear.
10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Just a question, not to cause trouble, will PM's be monitored to ensure compliance with this rule? I agree whole heartedly with the rule btw. I've always disliked attending an auction where a 'buyers premium' was charged. Just another cash grab IMHO
10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a seller, my experience is that if I price an item all in, meaning the price includes shipping, Paypal fees and all incidentals, I get more interest from potential buyers. If I want to net $125 for something I just set the price at $135. If it ends up being $124.75 because the Paypal fee is a little higher than I anticipated, then whatever.
10-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Just a question, not to cause trouble, will PM's be monitored to ensure compliance with this rule?
No, as the rule only requires that no mention of gift payments is made in listings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2012, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never understood how someone could send money as a "gift" to someone other than their children via Paypal. Once, I tried, but even as a gift, Paypal charges the fee to the sender. If we are using Paypal, it is just fair that we pay the fee, or that the seller account for the fee in their transaction. I never buy anything when I read the words "... net to me."