Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Really? You're encouraging members to report posts?

That's why the button is there, to report posts/threads that are rude/off-topic/against rules.

It saves the moderators having to read every post and thread (which on a forum this size I imagine would be rather time consuming)

12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
That's why the button is there, to report posts/threads that are rude/off-topic/against rules.

It saves the moderators having to read every post and thread (which on a forum this size I imagine would be rather time consuming)
Absolutely.
12-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have always encouraged forum members to report posts which violate forum rules... As hks_kansei points out, we cannot read every thread or post and even if we could a member is likely to see things that are amiss first.
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Try DPR.
Wow, since Pentax Forum started, I haven't been there. When did they start an off topic forum? I just took a look. Yep, same old churning as it has been here. Nothing but fluff. As for me, I won't miss the P&R forum here. After years, what has it accomplished really?

Larry

12-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Good. I am glad its gone. I blocked it a long time ago but I feel it has no place on a photography forum.
12-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Thank you big brother............. (double plus un- good)...
Just so you know, Mike was a staunch supporter of keeping the P & R open.
12-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Just so you know, Mike was a staunch supporter of keeping the P & R open.
Thats true, but that was only because I believed it was a good place to contain all the P&R drama in one place. I was no happier than any of the other mods with what went on, even when the majority of members tried to keep things civil... there was always someone slinging personal insults rather than debating the merits of the issue. But after seeing some of the replies in the RIP thread, I give up.

P&R is gone soon and we will aggressively delete any thread or post which becomes the least bit political/religious and hand out the necessary infractions. And folks who don't believe me and try to skirt the rules... you'll find yourselves searching for another forum after you've managed to ban yourselves.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Wow, since Pentax Forum started, I haven't been there. When did they start an off topic forum?
They haven't, that I know of.
12-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
after you've managed to ban yourselves
Mike: Do we ban people now, too? IIRC at the time many original PF members were banned DPR members who came here because they could post and debate openly without fear of banning by the "Forum Owner". Other than a certain Starchy Intoxicant I'd never heard of an actual member banishment - and I recall an extended series of attempts to modify his behavior so we could avoid the nuclear option. Then again, other than the K-01 threads last spring I never really got into a posting war with anyone, so maybe I just haven't kept up.

As far as closing the P&R Forum, I actually blocked it (and I think General Talk, as well) immediately when blocking became available so I can't say I'll miss (or celebrate) something I've been missing. There have been days here when I wondered where all the member activity had gone - perhaps it was all on those two blocked Forums.
12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Mike: Do we ban people now, too? IIRC at the time many original PF members were banned DPR members who came here because they could post and debate openly without fear of banning by the "Forum Owner". Other than a certain Starchy Intoxicant I'd never heard of an actual member banishment - and I recall an extended series of attempts to modify his behavior so we could avoid the nuclear option.
How to get banned on Pentax Forum: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike: Do we ban people now, too? IIRC at the time many original PF members were banned DPR members who came here because they could post and debate openly without fear of banning by the "Forum Owner"
We draw a distinction between "open debate" and repeated vulgar, insulting, inflammatory posting. We have a pretty clear set of rules and except for spamming, which gets and immediate permanent ban, no one gets banned for isolated incidents. Continued egregious flouting of the rules can result in being banned from the forum. People all learn at different rates. Some of the slower ones didn't learn fast enough.
12-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Mike: Do we ban people now, too? IIRC at the time many original PF members were banned DPR members who came here because they could post and debate openly without fear of banning by the "Forum Owner". Other than a certain Starchy Intoxicant I'd never heard of an actual member banishment - and I recall an extended series of attempts to modify his behavior so we could avoid the nuclear option. Then again, other than the K-01 threads last spring I never really got into a posting war with anyone, so maybe I just haven't kept up.

As far as closing the P&R Forum, I actually blocked it (and I think General Talk, as well) immediately when blocking became available so I can't say I'll miss (or celebrate) something I've been missing. There have been days here when I wondered where all the member activity had gone - perhaps it was all on those two blocked Forums.
We don't actually ban many folks but those that we have have soundly deserved it because they have proved that they could not behave as adults. We just want to make it clear that there will be severe consequences for violating rules against non-photography related political or any religious content once P&R is closed.

We actually have far more people who resign or quit after earning minor infractions (if we don't enforce the rules we do have then what good are they?) and getting slapped on the wrist or being put into a short "time-out... Some people just don't understand that they must play nice with the other children if they want to use the jungle gym.
12-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't really read it so I DK what actually transpired, but I also received a 30-day notice once for what felt to me like a pretty funny but harmless personal barb. The OP Reported the Reply, the Mod Team deemed the post a personal attack and sent me a PM and warning - and to this day I would call nonsense on the whole Report/Reprimand thing. Instead I just don't interact with that member any more. And I changed my tone - so I'm not banned.

Interestingly, his tone has moderated as well -

Last edited by Ash; 12-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I've got a feeling the P&R forum helped keep the rest of this place civil.

Monochrome, you got an attitude adjustment eh?

Seems as though your post was edited by someone other than yourself however.
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Don't assume that everything you read posted in the link is what happened either. Nor is it what went down today. In fact what he says over there isn't accurate or correct. Some folks would probably be happier on a Sony forum.

Last edited by Blue; 12-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Closed Thread