Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Christo, your point is well taken. We don't think it will be that big of an issue as the ones that are most likely to cause problems are the ones who post mostly, if not exclusively in P&R (that's not to say that all of those cause trouble), and several of them have made it clear that they don't intend to stick around once P&R is closed. There are enough of us (mods) on line throughout the day and night and enough members who, like us, want to keep things civil that maintaining an affable atmosphere here isn't going to be a problem.

I would like to address the issue of censorship. Yes, there is censorship, and here's why:
If you invited someone into your home and that person started talking rudely, swearing at or insulting you or your other guests, would you allow them to to continue unchecked? Would you let them go on, or censor them by reminding them of what is and isn't proper behavior in your house; and then, if they continued with the behavior, ask them yo leave? Well, this is Adam's house so he gets to decide what is and isn't acceptable. This is a private website that he allows and welcomes people to join and participate in.everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate as long as it is done within the rules of the forum, and within the bounds of civility.
I get what you're saying Jim, i just think that even if it is Adam's decision, in the end, when you have been allowed into the house and have been here a few years, you feel part of the family, and in my house, even if I might have the final say in matters, I do discuss and get the views of all the family members before making final desicions....I do accept the desicion though, just saying it has been a lot of fun on some boring days to observe the discussions, much more interesting than the FF debates

12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #62
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
just saying it has been a lot of fun on some boring days to observe the discussions, much more interesting than the FF debates
Absolutely!
12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Just curious. What is the activity on this forum without P&R posts?

Without P&R it seems to me it becomes just like any other camera forum.

How active is Camera-Enthusiast. com? I just went there and not too busy. A couple of threads have today's or yesterday's date.
Will PF go the same way?
Sure there are some that post entirely in P&R but what about those that post mostly here and still a bit in the photo section? Will they find another home and PF loses them?

I've visited some of the other forums and they too have very friendly, knowledgeable folks there. I don't spend any time there beacuse it seems like a bunch of CaNikon snobsWhat separates PF from them?
12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
This is tricky, but it worked out well for me. I got frustrated with one of the resident Pentax bashers and called him a troll. In my post there were several on-topic points too. A mod removed the offending phrase and warned me for my behaviour, but let the post stand. That was preferable to having the entire post deleted.
Well he probably was a troll. There were plenty of them, they appeared to be completely unmoderated and they nearly drove me off the forum, no great loss I know but still... I'm sure I could find dozens if not hundreds examples. I remember one post that suggested Ned was a csucker and that was allowed. So what was it that monochrome said or could possible say that was so bad it required censorship?

12-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote

How active is Camera-Enthusiast. com? I just went there and not too busy. A couple of threads have today's or yesterday's date.
Will PF go the same way?
Sure there are some that post entirely in P&R but what about those that post mostly here and still a bit in the photo section? Will they find another home and PF loses them?

I've visited some of the other forums and they too have very friendly, knowledgeable folks there. I don't spend any time there beacuse it seems like a bunch of CaNikon snobsWhat separates PF from them?
If you look in the various forums here and PF, you will see that the P & R forum is just one tiny corner of daily activity. However, it probably generates over 50% of behind the scenes problems. Half of the other half of problems occur in the News & Rumors.
12-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #66
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster

Will PF go the same way?

PF gets more than 100x the traffic of CE. CE is still a very new community and we haven't allocated very many resources to its development.

P&R accounts for less than 1% of site activity.

As much as I hate to do this to those who have been enjoying the P&R forum, we posted an announcement in 2010 stating that P&R would be closed if it continued to give rise to conflicts- and it did. Almost all bans issues on the site, which isn't that many, stem from issues in the P&R forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Exactly. Many times there are parts to a post that are valid and/or relevant, so in speaking for myself only, I will edit out the offending part of the post and let the rest remain. Censorship? Yup, sure is, but IMHO, removing an entire post for a one line violation is far worse.
I guess we agree to disagree. The way I see it if you freeze the post I have the option to edit or not. I have the option to let my word be my words or not. When you edit you take that choice away. Perhaps not literary rape but at least touched inappropriately.

12-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #68
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Will PF go the same way?

As far as the difference between us and Camera-Enthusiast. com, there is a huge disparity in how long the two sites have been in operation. That just may be a factor.

We have a few members who say they will leave when P&R closes. We wish them well. I know for a fact in the nearly 3 years that I have been a moderator, we have had several members leave, according to them, because there is a P&R. One size doesn't fit all.

It's an extremely small percentage of members that post in P&R. Right now, there are 246 of our more than 47,000 members, and over 1600 guests on line. That's about average to low average. I count roughly 30 different posters in P&R since yesterday, several of whom appear to have posted just to weigh in on the closing, as they haven't posted in a while. Even if I grossly miscounted and there were 50, that's 1/10th of 1 percent of the membership. Roughly 50% of the threads are started by one or two members and 1/10th of 1 percent (likely fewer) post in P&R on any given day, so I really don't foresee much impact on the forum overall.

We're Pentax snobs.
Seriously, are they thriving, active sites? Do they have a P&R section?
12-14-2012, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #69
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I guess we agree to disagree. The way I see it if you freeze the post I have the option to edit or not. I have the option to let my word be my words or not. When you edit you take that choice away. Perhaps not literary rape but at least touched inappropriately.
Call it what you will. However swearing is simply not permitted on this forum. Comply with the forum rules and there will be far less disappointment.
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #70
Veteran Member

As far as the difference between us and Camera-Enthusiast. com, there is a huge disparity in how long the two sites have been in operation. That just may be a factor.

We have a few members who say they will leave when P&R closes. We wish them well. I know for a fact in the nearly 3 years that I have been a moderator, we have had several members leave, according to them, because there is a P&R. One size doesn't fit all.

It's an extremely small percentage of members that post in P&R. Right now, there are 246 of our more than 47,000 members, and over 1600 guests on line. That's about average to low average. I count roughly 30 different posters in P&R since yesterday, several of whom appear to have posted just to weigh in on the closing, as they haven't posted in a while. Even if I grossly miscounted and there were 50, that's 1/10th of 1 percent of the membership. Roughly 50% of the threads are started by one or two members and 1/10th of 1 percent (likely fewer) post in P&R on any given day, so I really don't foresee much impact on the forum overall.

We're Pentax snobs.
Photozo is the one I was also lurking about on.
No P&R. Not sure of how many members. Just notice it's not all that much activity.
But what makes this forum different from s forum like them?

(Just making conversation here. No harm meant)

QuoteQuote:
Call it what you will. However swearing is simply not permitted on this forum. Comply with the forum rules and there will be far less disappointment.
Swearing shouldn't be permitted anyplace. Why can't people talk without having to resort to cursing anyway? One guy I use to talk with used the f bomb every other word. For what? Not smart enough to have a conversation without it?
12-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #71
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're Pentax snobs.
Thanks for the stats. That puts it into better perspective. And as for the forum succeeding without a P&R section, it'll do just fine as Pentax itself has done despite the myriad of doomsday soothsayers predicting its demise. Camera Enthusiast .com was started up by a former PF member. It serves a similar yet brand agnostic service, but I have found PF to be accommodating and bringing Pentax a little more to the fore when much of the retail photography world has neglected it.
12-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #72
Veteran Member

And what pray tell, stops you from making another post to "let your words be your words" provided they are within forum rules?
12-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #73
Site Supporter

You can re-write it as long as it isn't out of bounds again. Sometimes we ask posters to do the editing, but we have to keep checking on it. Sometimes we go ahead and edit it to keep things from escalating. Plus, there are people who don't like getting their post deleted.
12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
However swearing is simply not permitted on this forum. Comply with the forum rules and there will be far less disappointment.
I have no idea why you say swearing is not allowed on the forum.
I do not swear on the forum. I have never been reprimanded for swearing on the forum.
Are you saying monochrome swore in the post you edited?

Is this just an example? I don't swear on the forum because I have more effective ways to express myself and I know it bothers some. However there is nothing in the rules about it so some may assume it is not a priority. Just saying as a non swearing forum member.
12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
And what pray tell, stops you from making another post to "let your words be your words" provided they are within forum rules?
Nothing except fear of reprisal by the editing moderator regardless of the forum rules. Anyway another post does nothing to relieve the feeling of being violated.
I don't see myself as a problem child on the forum > 1400 posts and I've been edited once. My infraction I am told, I was off topic.

Having said that I am not entirely unsympathetic, most of the mods here do a bang up job most of the time. I have been a mod myself so I know first hand what a difficult and thankless job it can be.
Closed Thread