Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to make pictures look sharp when linked?

I continue to run into a situation where any pictures I link from Flickr or Photobucket appear softer when displayed in the forum.

What is the optimal size needed to downsize pictures to have them show up with intended sharpness in the forum?

In the example below, I have resized the photo to 1024 x 768 before uploading to Flickr, but when it is displayed by the forum it appears a little smaller and softer.

Last edited by crewl1; 11-25-2013 at 10:35 AM.
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I continue to run into a situation where any pictures I link from Flickr or Photobucket appear softer when displayed in the forum.

What is the optimal size needed to downsize pictures to have them show up with intended sharpness in the forum?

In the example below, I have resized the photo to 1024 x 768 before uploading to Flickr, but when it is displayed by the forum it appears a little smaller and softer.
Do you have the auto-scaling feature enabled in your profile options? That might limit the width of images to < 1024. Also, I believe flickr sharpens/enhances uploads, or at least they used it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went over to my profile and I did have the width maxed at 1024, so I changed it to 0 and height as well.
It did not seem to make a difference, so I switched the pointer over to Photobucket and it still looks the same.
Do I need to log out - log in to have the profile change take effect?

Last edited by crewl1; 11-25-2013 at 10:35 AM.
12-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Dunno then, because on my screen the two look identical! Take a look at the attached file, where I took a screenshot and stacked the two birds on top of each other.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You're right on , Adam - I was working in Firefox but when I switched over to IE it looks fine. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to go dig into my Firefox settings now.