Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I tend not to buy from sellers that are asking you to pay for the fee ... especially when seller clearly says "I will not mark item as gift" .

Why?

Because is a little bit "hypocritical" of them ... when you pay for the fee (as a buyer) you have to pay it as "Others" option ... gift .
I see that as footing the bill to the buyer .
When buyers ask you to pay the fee, they are generally just increasing the price by that amount, not asking you to pay some special way. They are still charged the fee by paypal, they are just asking you to cover it. If you gift them the payment, there generally is no fee for anybody.

The "not marking it as gift" thing has nothing to do with PayPal, that's for customs on international shipments whereby marking something as a gift can help the buyer avoid some import fees in some cases. But it a crime to do that, and can get the seller slapped with a fee or worse.

01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
When buyers ask you to pay the fee, they are generally just increasing the price by that amount, not asking you to pay some special way. They are still charged the fee by paypal, they are just asking you to cover it. If you gift them the payment, there generally is no fee for anybody.

The "not marking it as gift" thing has nothing to do with PayPal, that's for customs on international shipments whereby marking something as a gift can help the buyer avoid some import fees in some cases. But it a crime to do that, and can get the seller slapped with a fee or worse.
First of all, I never asked for shipments marked as gift. I pay my fees and never complained.
I only say " ... especially when seller clearly says 'I will not mark item as gift' ", for the reason described in my previous post.

Second of all, if you gift the payment, as a buyer you HAVE TO pay the PayPal fee.
I had buyers asking for PayPal fees in the past (not necessary from here) so I know that as a fact.

If the price they are asking is $225 + $25 shipping (as an example) ... I expect to pay $250 and nothing more.

Even if they add $1.25 (as an example again) to that $250, in essence I am still paying for their fee.
With all do respect ... that is not fair.
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Second of all, if you gift the payment, as a buyer you HAVE TO pay the PayPal fee.
I had buyers asking for PayPal fees in the past (not necessary from here).
I think it depends on your account type -- if you have a business account I think you always pay fees. But a standard personal account, not necessarily. I've had relatives send me like $700 with no fees for them or me. (Them with a personal account, me with a business account.)
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I think it depends on your account type -- if you have a business account I think you always pay fees. But a standard personal account, not necessarily. I've had relatives send me like $700 with no fees for them or me. (Them with a personal account, me with a business account.)
"You think" ... I know it for a fact.

Even as personal account you still pay for the fee. At least I did every time I have marked a payment as a gift.

01-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hmmm - then why when I made a gift from my PayPal account to my wife's PayPal account there was no fee?

If you make a gift payment to a friend or family - that is what PayPal deems as a legal "gift" payment, and the funds come from your PayPal account and not a credit card, there is not fee involved.

- well that is what "I think"
You are correct. If you Send Money (Personal, as a Gift) from a Bank-Linked account there is no fee for either party. If you send from or pay to a Credit Card there is a 2.9% Fee (all above just researched in my PayPal account).

Benefit of a Bank-Linked Account: Lower Fees
Benefit of a Card-Linked Account: PayPal doesn't know your bank account number
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hmmm - then why when I made a gift from my PayPal account to my wife's PayPal account there was no fee?

If you make a gift payment to a friend or family - that is what PayPal deems as a legal "gift" payment, and the funds come from your PayPal account and not a credit card, there is not fee involved.

- well that is what "I think"
Then I guess is a huge conspiracy from PayPal against me ... to make me pay fees .
And no, I do not have business account and payments are coming out straight from my bank account.
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the Seller perspective, I cannot tell from my end whether the buyer will use a bank account or a credit card. If the buyer uses a credit card I am charged the PayPal Fee AND the Credit Card Fee - which can add up to more than 5%. If I'm selling an LX with two viewfinders for $625 that debit can push $40, and I start paying attention just after the $10 mark. I don't know what to do about this other than quietly offer some money back to cash payers - making the discounted price offer in the FS thread just invites haggling, as well as encouraging people to SAY they are paying from a bank account, but then you get the Card charge to boot. Then what do you do? (Answer - immediately cancel the transaction, refund the money, PM the Seller why you are doing that ).

So I just put a price I am willing to accept on the FS thread and expect I will end up with 5% to 10% less net money after all the costs including shipping are deducted.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-11-2013 at 01:29 PM.
01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

OK ... fair enough ... explain this:

01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #39
Pentaxian

"You think" ... I know it for a fact.

Even as personal account you still pay for the fee. At least I did every time I have marked a payment as a gift.
Don't know what I did to incur the attitude. All I know is that I've had personal payments sent to me for hundreds of dollars and no one paid a fee. So it is possible.
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Don't know what I did to incur the attitude. All I know is that I've had personal payments sent to me for hundreds of dollars and no one paid a fee. So it is possible.
What attitude? I was only saying that I know for a fact.
And there is no lie ... please see my post above. That is me sending a gift payment. Fees are included.

If there is a way, please someone teach me because I have no clue how to send gift without any fees on any side ...
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #41
Pentaxian

What attitude? I was only saying that I know for a fact.
And there is no lie ... please see my post above. That is me sending a gift payment. Fees are included.

If there is a way, please someone teach me because I have no clue how to send gift without any fees on any side ...
If you "think" you haven't displayed an attitude, then re-read your posts from a neutral perspective -- they seem a bit confrontational to me. ("First of all...", "You 'think', I know", etc.)

Anyway, I monochrome may have gotten it above -- use a checking account and avoid the fees.
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If you "think" you haven't displayed an attitude, then re-read your posts from a neutral perspective -- they seem a bit confrontational to me.

Anyway, I think monochrome may have gotten it above -- use a checking account and avoid the fees.
I have no attitude ... you interpret my post as you wish. As far as I can tell you are giving me attitude without checking my posts.
And I am using a checking account ... please check the photo I have added on the previous page.

Here it is again:

01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whoa - this is probably a Canada vs. USA thing. Wouldn't be the first time we had different fees and rules for an identical service.
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys can all chill out.
Solution?
Seller sets the final price to INCLUDE their wish to have a set net amount to reach them, and never have to say "net to me" or "buyer pays PayPal fees".
Simple.
01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You guys can all chill out.
Solution?
Seller sets the final price to INCLUDE their wish to have a set net amount to reach them, and never have to say "net to me" or "buyer pays PayPal fees".
Simple.
Fine - I'll delete my posts.