Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Modification of Marketplace Rules to Ban Buyer "PayPal Fees"

Is anyone else upset with the fact that certain sellers require the buyer to pay the 3.4(+1.0% for Int'l)% fees for PayPal? Seems like if you're going to accept payment in a certain way, you should eat the fees for doing so, not the buyer.

It's been brought up before, but never targeting this issue in particular.(Previous threads were regarding lack of buyer protection with gift payments)

Would love to see something done to amend the rules for this. Anyone else with me?

01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Seems pedantic? If the buyer feels that it's not their place to calculate it, then buyer should just request the seller to send the correct invoice including the paypal fee. This forces the seller to do the calculations (and I would ask them to justify it in the comments).

I, as a seller, include the fee in my price - but I as a buyer never thought it was an upsetting thing.
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm getting something I *want* and the original price is good - I'm not that fussed either way.
In saying tho; I've never thought about the buyer protection side of things. I generally just trust the seller at face value - BUT you do make a valid point.
Prices should be inc Paypal. ie $50 + 3.4%
Or sellers could just price their products accordingly to adsorb the Paypal costs.

EDIT; although I think *banning* members is a bit harsh.
01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When I sell, I try to always price such that the fee and the shipping are including in my asking price. Sometimes that means after a little price negotiation that I take a small hit. However, overall I don't really mind as typically the fee is not a very large dollar amount.

I think it is reasonable though for sellers to ask buyers to pay the fee. When buyers pay the fee, essentially they are buying their own buyer protection. If they feel that the trust the person, maybe they don't need the fee option.

I guess these are contradictory statements. I suppose I don't know how I feel about this issue.

01-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The seller needs/wants to end up with a certain amount of money when the transaction is over. But we've been trained by marketing, etc to try to "hide" certain fees by giving them names and trying to hint to the buyer that "hey, I'm not going to get that money, I have to pay it to paypal". Yet when you go to a retail store it doesn't say "$10 + light bill fee + salesman fee" etc. I think the sellers just don't think about it and don't realize it is annoying. I know many buyers have stated that just pass over listings that say "net to me" and stuff like that. Just name your price. It is reasonable to list different shipping rates for local vs international, but for fixed costs just calculate it and ask for enough to cover it. It annoys me as a seller as well because I feel obligated to state "I am paying the PayPal fees" when I'd rather just not mention it at all...
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yet when you go to a retail store it doesn't say "$10 + light bill fee + salesman fee" etc. I think the sellers just don't think about it and don't realize it is annoying..
That was something that really annoyed me on my trips to the USA - the adding of sales tax, etc. I'm used to the stated prices including the tax. Don't get me started on tips (which we don't do here in Australia).
01-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All I'm saying is, if you need to sell a lens and make 79$, up the list price to indicate such, rather than asking for the buyer to pay fees.(PayPal actually removed this option on goods and services payments, so the seller has to ask to add 3% anyway)

01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Seems pedantic? If the buyer feels that it's not their place to calculate it, then buyer should just request the seller to send the correct invoice including the paypal fee. This forces the seller to do the calculations (and I would ask them to justify it in the comments).

I, as a seller, include the fee in my price - but I as a buyer never thought it was an upsetting thing.
Perhaps upset is the wrong word. Bemused might suit it better.
01-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
There is already a sticky about this in the marketplace https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/201374-new-ma...-payments.html
You can refer the seller to the sticky.
Not the same. Thanks though!
01-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've already decided to include the paypal fee if I sell on this site....but.....

Paypal charges 3.9% for international sales in Canada.....so if I sell a more expensive lens, like an A*600 for $3000, we are taking $120. If Paypal was presumed to be used for every transaction...then fair enough. But for countries that could use EMT (more secure and government regulated than Paypal) for in-country transactions for $10.....or get paid cash for $0.......why would you hide $120 in their price when they should only be paying $10 (or $0)? Why pocket $110 when you would prefer to just get paid for the item?

Last edited by SteveM; 01-08-2013 at 10:58 PM.
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Offer a price reduction for EMT or cash. That way, its an incentive, rather than a penalty for buyers.
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Not the same. Thanks though!
Realized it too late and was slow on the delete
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Offer a price reduction for EMT or cash. That way, its an incentive, rather than a penalty for buyers.
Sounds good to me...and helps everyone out. This isn't the first thread on this issue. I think everyone wants to avoid dinging someone for a service (paypal) that might not be rendered.....
01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can I ask what the dealio is with "gift" on Paypal?
It seems to be the only way of the buyer paying the fee....?
01-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Can I ask what the dealio is with "gift" on Paypal?
It seems to be the only way of the buyer paying the fee....?
With a "gift" payment, there is no fee. It is also fraud (against PayPal), and also there is no seller/buyer protection provided (by PayPal).