Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK thanks Adam.

02-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Your photo only gets compressed at the time of upload, and only if it's too big. So to answer your question, no it won't.
Hm, well it's gone back to being the totally crappy version in the voting thread... so something had gone wrong somewhere.
It doesn't really matter, since looking at those photos, there's no way mine will get one of the top 3 places, but it certainly wouldn't have anyway with the butchering that happened to it.
02-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
Hm, well it's gone back to being the totally crappy version in the voting thread... so something had gone wrong somewhere.
It doesn't really matter, since looking at those photos, there's no way mine will get one of the top 3 places, but it certainly wouldn't have anyway with the butchering that happened to it.
The one in the voting thread links to your original submission, so that's what's being shown. As I mentioned earlier, we go have a global option that allows users to reduce the width of embedded photos, so that what you might be seeing.

In any case, I doubt the voters will notice that the quality of your file is a big lower- it's the composition that matters!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hm, no, I know it's your forum and everything - but it seems that what's being shown in the FIRST photo in my submission, but I've read over and over again that your MOST RECENT one in your submission thread is the one that is counted... well there was a more recent one, and it's different.
Happy for you to check my submission thread and tell me if I'm wrong? But I see two photos on the thread, and the more recent one is not the one shown in the voting thread.

About the quality thing - normally I'd agree with you (and like I said, with the calibre of photos, I won't get anywhere near the top anyway) - but with the way it's been affected in THAT PARTICULAR photo, given the artificial light on the structure in the foreground, and how that effect basically disappears with the compressed version, it just takes away the impact of the photo. It'd be like turning a photo of a rainbow to B&W... like, sure composition matters, but the real punch of that photo is in the nuance of the light on the foreground structure.

02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ok, so just when I thought nothing more could go wrong, I realized that if you have both an attachment and a linked photo in your post, it will only take the latest attachment regardless of how many linked photos there are. I think this might be the first time that something like this has happened. If you want, I can swap one version with the other in the voting thread, though I have to say I actually think both of them work.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so just when I thought nothing more could go wrong, I realized that if you have both an attachment and a linked photo in your post, it will only take the latest attachment regardless of how many linked photos there are. I think this might be the first time that something like this has happened. If you want, I can swap one version with the other in the voting thread, though I have to say I actually think both of them work.
I would reeeeally like it if you could swap it pleeeeease?
Sorry to be a pain, I just really dislike that version shown.

Thank you, and I promise for future submissions I'll make sure they're uploaded within the dimensions etc. so that this doesn't happen and cause a headache for you.
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

OK- I've replaced your photo. It was #195, right?

Adam

02-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've personally quit submitting for contest(s) here quite a while ago, and for the same reasons which the OP mentioned.
However, photos uploaded from Flickr DO have much better IQ than either direct from the computer in a then-to-be-compressed image for the contest.
I have tried several times to post images within the forum rules (image size/resolution) but I always seem to end up with less than acceptable results once uploaded here.
For me, Flickr works best.

JP
02-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK- I've replaced your photo. It was #195, right?
Yes that's right - and I know you disagree but that's like... so much nicer in my eyes.
I hope you understand, it's not that I'm afraid of not winning because of the IQ - when I saw the number of brilliant photos, I wasn't concerned about a place in the top 3 - it's just I like to sort of track my progress in terms of percentage of votes - e.g. in my first monthly comp I came like 12th, and then 10th, and then 6th - and again, I know you disagree but I can see voters being much less impressed with the compressed version.

Thanks again.