Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A thanks button

I was wondering if we could have a Thanks button added to each post (down next to the quote and quick reply buttons).

Sometimes one wants to publicly thank someone but not clutter the forum with thanks posts. I've seen it on another vBulletin-based forum I am on.

02-04-2013, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I was wondering if we could have a Thanks button added to each post (down next to the quote and quick reply buttons).

Sometimes one wants to publicly thank someone but not clutter the forum with thanks posts. I've seen it on another vBulletin-based forum I am on.
We have a thumbs-up button, which is the same thing basically.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We have a thumbs-up button, which is the same thing basically.
not really, anyone can give a thumbs up, because they like and appreciate the post, found it informative and / or expanded their understanding. That is different than giving thanks, or in the troubleshooting forum especially, confirming that the OP's question was answered.

A button only available to the starter of a thread, or if there was a prefix (indicating a question) to a post within a thread that could have a thanks button attached so the poster could acknowledge his question was answered would be of interest.
02-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm missing a point here, I guess. If someone helps you out, why not just leave a post to that effect? Also, as Adam pointed out, we have the like button which allows you to add text.

02-05-2013, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm missing a point here, I guess. If someone helps you out, why not just leave a post to that effect? Also, as Adam pointed out, we have the like button which allows you to add text.
I think the point is to simply be able to click the button as opposed to sending a message. While Likes can often indicate the same thing, a thanks button is a clear indicator of helping someone.

If a scorecard of "thanks" was maintained, in a similar fashion to "likes" it would be a real indicator of people that spend the time to answer specific questions. Maybe it could be difficult, because there are times where multiple people answer a question

I see the real use as being able to mark the thread somehow so that there is a clear indication the OP had his question answered. Many times threads evolve far away from the initial post and you are never really sure the OP got his answer,, this is a good way for everyone to know whether the question was answered, and whether the OP is really interested any more
02-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the point is to simply be able to click the button as opposed to sending a message. While Likes can often indicate the same thing, a thanks button is a clear indicator of helping someone.

If a scorecard of "thanks" was maintained, in a similar fashion to "likes" it would be a real indicator of people that spend the time to answer specific questions. Maybe it could be difficult, because there are times where multiple people answer a question

I see the real use as being able to mark the thread somehow so that there is a clear indication the OP had his question answered. Many times threads evolve far away from the initial post and you are never really sure the OP got his answer,, this is a good way for everyone to know whether the question was answered, and whether the OP is really interested any more
You are making an assumption that people would use it. Care to take a guess how many times I have to remind folks to mark their marketplace ad as Sold? It too, has a button. Then there are the users who post a question and never respond or come back to check on the answer.

If a person helps me, I'd much rather let them know via a message than use an impersonal button reply.

IMHO you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Based on my experience with the AULRO.COM forum, the thanks button is used extensively. A box appears under the thanked post showing all those who have thanked.

Re being advised of sold items, I experience the same problem on AULRO (I look after the Markets).

Last edited by p38arover; 02-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You are making an assumption that people would use it. Care to take a guess how many times I have to remind folks to mark their marketplace ad as Sold? It too, has a button. Then there are the users who post a question and never respond or come back to check on the answer.

If a person helps me, I'd much rather let them know via a message than use an impersonal button reply.

IMHO you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
I am only clarifying the reasoning behind the button, I can see the use, etc, and I agree that there are some people who would never use it, just as there are people who post a question and never come back to answer the thread. Maybe some of those people would use a thanks button, over writing back. Who knows.

Although this is now diverting from the OPs question, lets have a raspberry button and a troll button too
02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about this scenario:
Post 1) OP posts a good picture taken with his Pentax
Post 2) VIEWER1 comments "Nice shot there, buddy"
Post 3) VIEWER2 comments "Love the composition on that shot"
Post 4) VIEWER3 comments " The butterflies look awesome"
Post 5) VIEWER4 comments " +1 and the roses have great colors"
Post 6) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER1 comments "Nice shot there, buddy" </QUOTE> Thanks!
Post 7) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER2 comments "Love the composition on that shot"</QUOTE> Much Appreciated!
Post 8) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER3 comments " The butterflies look awesome"</QUOTE> Gracias!
Post 9) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER4 comments " +1 and the roses have great colors"</QUOTE> Obrigado!
02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
How about this scenario:
Post 1) OP posts a good picture taken with his Pentax
Post 2) VIEWER1 comments "Nice shot there, buddy"
Post 3) VIEWER2 comments "Love the composition on that shot"
Post 4) VIEWER3 comments " The butterflies look awesome"
Post 5) VIEWER4 comments " +1 and the roses have great colors"
Post 6) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER1 comments "Nice shot there, buddy" </QUOTE> Thanks!
Post 7) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER2 comments "Love the composition on that shot"</QUOTE> Much Appreciated!
Post 8) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER3 comments " The butterflies look awesome"</QUOTE> Gracias!
Post 9) OP replies <QUOTE>VIEWER4 comments " +1 and the roses have great colors"</QUOTE> Obrigado!
I don't think the intent is to give thanks to someone who comments they like your shot, or post, I think the idea would be to acknowledge that the information was useful, answered your question or solved your problem. Maybe a " thanks" button won't work because it will be irrelevantly used. This could be fixed by only applying it to posts with a prefix soliciting help
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We have the likes button precisely for the purpose of identifying the most helpful content within a thread. That's why the top 6 posts with the most likes are shown at the top of the thread.

I will agree that there are other systems out there that are perhaps more engaging (such as the post rating icon system found on Camera Forum and Photo News Blog - Camera-Enthusiast.com), but at the moment I'd rather focus on content over minor features like this. When the time comes to upgrade the forum software to something more modern, I'm sure more interactive features will be added.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: