Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Moderation of tone / sarcasm / insults?

I recently came back to using Pentax after a few years of using other brands. I started reading and posting again here at PentaxForums because I wanted to find out what other Pentaxians are doing with their gear and post about my Pentax experiences with fellow Pentaxians away from the type of Canon or Nikon fanboy comments often found on other forums. Another big reason I came back to PentaxForums is that I remembered how much nicer people behaved to fellow Pentaxians of all types here compared to so many other forums ... particularly DPreview.

Unfortunately, after hanging around for a couple of weeks I've noticed this forum has become significantly more abrasive than it used to be. I've read or participated in a number of threads recently where forum members automatically assume the worst of our fellow Pentaxians and many of our members pack forum posts with gratuitous amounts of sarcasm about other members or even comments that some would consider blatant insults.

Is this just the curse of all online discussion forums after they've been around a while? Have we lost the ability to communicate with perfect strangers in a civil, respectful manner without responding to someone we don't know by ripping them a new a-hole? Is there nothing we can do as a group to promote a more welcoming and respectful environment for all people?

I'm a supporter of free speech in all forms of communication but I'm not talking about people "being honest" or "telling it like it is" ... I'm talking about keeping ourselves "in check" when it comes to abrasive comments and a fundamental lack of respect for fellow human beings. When discussion forums foster a negative environment it makes people less likely to contribute and ultimately hurts the community.

03-04-2013, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I guess this makes reference to the UV filter question where you have offered your advice?
In that case, no offence, but truth to be told you did not answer the person's question and you started rambling about something else.

Don't get me wrong, your advice was good, but that did not answer the person's question.
True, he could of reacted in a better way ... no comments on that.

I guess in the end ... we should all just stay on topic and not assume anything extra that might irritate some people.
Hard to make everyone happy I guess ... and even more hard to moderate sarcasm ... or "smart" comments ...
03-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've noticed the same - since the K-01 was introduced especially - and I struggle with my own tendency to respond in kind. I've gone away for months at a time and come back, sworn I would only post on the photo threads and made all manner of other attempts to control my reactions to the invective. I have learned to just ignore a certain small group of Members. Feeding them keeps them alive.

Your recent experience was quite unusual. I thought your response was fair and the reaction quite unwarranted.
03-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
mrNewt, that thread was what triggered me to start this thread, and you are 100% correct that I made the mistake of assuming that someone needed an explanation when they didn't ... my tendency to provide sometimes superfluous explanations in order to be helpful obviously didn't help in that situation.

However, that thread isn't the only time I've read some sarcastic or insulting comments over the last few weeks.

I just hope the community here at PentaxForums isn't progressing unchecked into the realm of consistently rude comments that deter people from contributing in other forums.

03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
mrNewt, that thread was what triggered me to start this thread, and you are 100% correct that I made the mistake of assuming that someone needed an explanation when they didn't ... my tendency to provide sometimes superfluous explanations in order to be helpful obviously didn't help in that situation.
That is something to appreciate and like I have said, your advice was very good and even if it didn't responded the user's question, his reaction was a bit over the top - please don't think I don't agree with you.

However, that thread isn't the only time I've read some sarcastic or insulting comments over the last few weeks.

I just hope the community here at PentaxForums isn't progressing unchecked into the realm of consistently rude comments that deter people from contributing in other forums.
For these situations (these will always be there and I will admit I am most probably guilty of it here and there - with a more humours tone) my only advice is to report that specific post and I am sure one of the moderators will clear things out.

Last edited by mrNewt; 03-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.
03-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #6

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/1-welcome-forum-rules.html

The first rule of General Conduct is:

QuoteQuote:
Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Moderator decisions with respect to the nature of posts are final.
If you have a problem with the tone of a post click the "report" button in the lower left corner of the posting and let the moderators take care of it. Public confrontations often escalate to flame wars.

This is a very busy board with easily 1000 posts daily. The moderators can't read every post and may not be aware of a problem until someone brings it to their attention.
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recently came back to using Pentax after a few years of using other brands. I started reading and posting again here at PentaxForums because I wanted to find out what other Pentaxians are doing with their gear and post about my Pentax experiences with fellow Pentaxians away from the type of Canon or Nikon fanboy comments often found on other forums. Another big reason I came back to PentaxForums is that I remembered how much nicer people behaved to fellow Pentaxians of all types here compared to so many other forums ... particularly DPreview.

Unfortunately, after hanging around for a couple of weeks I've noticed this forum has become significantly more abrasive than it used to be. I've read or participated in a number of threads recently where forum members automatically assume the worst of our fellow Pentaxians and many of our members pack forum posts with gratuitous amounts of sarcasm about other members or even comments that some would consider blatant insults.

Is this just the curse of all online discussion forums after they've been around a while? Have we lost the ability to communicate with perfect strangers in a civil, respectful manner without responding to someone we don't know by ripping them a new a-hole? Is there nothing we can do as a group to promote a more welcoming and respectful environment for all people?

I'm a supporter of free speech in all forms of communication but I'm not talking about people "being honest" or "telling it like it is" ... I'm talking about keeping ourselves "in check" when it comes to abrasive comments and a fundamental lack of respect for fellow human beings. When discussion forums foster a negative environment it makes people less likely to contribute and ultimately hurts the community.
This forum isn't immune to flame wars. That's why the moderators gave up on the Political/Religious forum all together and removed it. Try to avoid full frame threads or anything about the new pricing policies and you're usually all right.

03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Speaking as a moderator I can only offer our sincere apologies. PentaxForums has become large, thus now also catering to people whose ideas of civilised conduct differ significantly from, perhaps, what used to be the norm in smaller communities. As moderators we do do our best and you should not hesitate to report uncivilised behaviour. But we also have a careful line to walk because there's nothing intrinsically wrong with disagreement, although how people choose to express that disagreement is a different matter.
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't read the thread you referred to, but overall I feel the community here is very friendly and helpful. Some folks are more vocal & opinionated than others, so disagreements are going to occur. As kenafein noted, you're more likely to run into possible conflict in the FF threads, & news/rumors/pricing discussions. But even there I find it civil, for the most part.
03-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've noticed it, too. Generally, when I get a smart-ass comment or uncalled-for nastiness, I try to ignore it and move on as I feel the person issuing the comment really doesn't deserve the dignity of a response. However, if it's unusually nasty, I'll take it up with a mod. If no action is taken, I leave the site altogether. There are plenty of forums out there that are civil and considerate. No need to subject oneself to abusive dolts. This media is difficult enough to convey feelings with without some inconsiderate, tactless dillweed sparking flame wars. The way I look at it: If you have to defend or apologize for what you posted, maybe you'd better re-evaluate your posting style.

Last edited by gjtoth; 03-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.
03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What "Not a Number" said. If you see someone being rude or insulting or otherwise acting like a pill, please report them to us (use the "Report Post" feature that looks like a little yellow caution sign in the lower left of the post). We do regularly warn or sanction members who cross the line to incivility and in certain cases have outright banned persistent Neanderthals (no insult intended toward any civilized cave men in our midst) who refuse to behave themselves.

This isn't meant to turn you into a snitch... it just that, as has been said, we moderators cannot reliably see or read everything.

Thanks

Mike
PF Moderation Team
03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think this is just a general direction in which communication is headed. I mean, even in all other mediums discourse is becoming less respectful.
Regarding that UV filter thread, that poster writes comments in that way all over. I wouldn't judge the whole forums over just a couple posters. What is also important is that maybe some people who appear to be unfriendly are not doing it on purpose. I mean, we don't know why they post like that. Maybe they are having a bad day, maybe they had bad life experiences that turned them that way, maybe its a diagnosable condition..
Overall I think the Pentax forums are still pretty nice. I just hope my comments don't cause anguish. I can be a bit of a downer sometimes, I know..
03-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

On the whole the positives of this forum outweigh the negatives by far in my experience.

It has evolved into quite something since we joined, me in Feb 2007... six years... wow.
03-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Please don't judge the forum by the posts of one individual! Most of us here aren't half bad.
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Please don't judge the forum by the posts of one individual! Most of us here aren't half bad.
The sad part is that it only takes one or two individuals to start that kind of crap. The mods on most boards tolerate it because they don't want to offend the offender! It's not too bad here... yet. Let's hope it doesn't get that way. But, I can think of several that it is totally out of control and has been for several years. Too bad because one of them is quite well-known for it's reviews, equipment databases, etc. But, on the whole, their forums are referred to as "The Dark Side". To enter is like walking into a shark feeding frenzy.
Closed Thread