Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Classifieds/Auction System

Hi guys,

Just another site improvement idea, but why not have an ebay-like auction system here at PentaxForums.com? Instead of paying ebay fees, you'll be able to post a full-scale, automated aucion here, and probably get more visits because we're all Pentax users.

Note that this would replace the buy/sell/trade forum. All sellers will be manually added to the sellers usergroup (upon placing a join request via the User CP) for your protection, and there'll also be a feedback thread (and eventually automatic feedback) available.

Future features will include easy paypal payment, but for now, everything will have to be done manually via PM or e-mail after the auction is won. A buy-it-now feature will also become available after a few months of having run the system.

I hope you like the idea, and I'm only considering this to let you all save money! Items will also be easier to find, I guess.

The system I'll be using will be called vBay, BTW. I'm open to any opinions and comments

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

good stuff man......really good stuff

taking this whole place to a whole new level eh...
01-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a great Idea
01-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a lens or two I was considering putting on Ebay. I may be willing to give it a try.

01-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

Yes - great, then we know that the stuff we sell will be appreciated by affiacionados!

Duncan.
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duncan J Murray Quote
Yes - great, then we know that the stuff we sell will be appreciated by affiacionados!

...but I agree it is a good idea!
01-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds good to me.

Sounds like it should work. I've got some stuff I don't use that maybe someone has a use for.

And, Lord knows, there's got to be stuff I need that I don't even know about!

01-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm glad you're all looking forward to this! It be up this week, but since the software is still the the beta stage, I'll have to wait for the developer to finish it, making it fully functional (things like cron, WYSIWYG, image uploads, and PM notifications).

Thanks!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
In addition to that, liablity issues may arise (knowing internet users nowadays), although I sincerely hope they don't.

Do you guys think this should prevent us from having this?

Adam

01-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Can you have some type of disclaimer that would record that all transactions done at users risk?

Not that would really stop a lawyer but could help.
01-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'd have a similar disclaimer to the one in the B/S/T forum. No one could possibly lose anything through the use of our system, too; it's just another service that I'm trying to provide.

All payments will be processed outside of PentaxForums.com- the system will just help determine the price and who the item goes to.

Adam

01-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Adam,
I think this is a great idea and will support it fully. I think as far as liability for the site I think you should put in big bold letters across the top of the home page Pentaxforums.com only hosts this site and is not responsible for any transactions of any kind. Buyer and seller are responsible for their own transactions. And since it is open to the members here if their is a problem it must be resolved out side the forum and never mentioned in a thread or a response to a thread. No other forum members need know about any problems with a purchase. I don't want to see the type of threads that have appeared on DPR. where one member bitches and the rest join sides. This would be totally unacceptable.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I thought a bit about this, and as well as having that, I think I'll restrict who can and can not sell via the system.

It'll basically limit sellers to active, well-known, and trusted community members (200+ posts) as well as those who have donated. That'll keep any scammers away

Adam

01-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Agree to totally.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Same here.