Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please no 'internet speak' on this forum

Obviously I am new hear and hold no ownership to the forums, but can we as a community reduce the 'internet speak' here a bit. There really appears to be just one or two users writing like this, but it is incredibly distracting trying to decipher their sentences. Can those that speak English natively please try to form a coherent sentence with proper structure and perhaps even capitalization? Shortening words is acceptable for 'texting' on your phone, but it just makes you look like a moron on a site like this. To be clear, those that speak a non-English natively, the fact that you make an effort to conduct discourse in English at all is highly admirable.

I frequent a car forum or two where writing like this would result in an immediate ban. I am not saying we need to adopt this here, but it certainly help strengthen the heard' if you will.

Flame if you will. I only attempt to provide a suggestion to improve this very promising site.

01-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree.

I'd say most of our users are doing a great job with posting, and I only see a few cases here and there. Abbreviations like BTW and IMO are fine, but let's stay away from all the others. I won't be banning users for this, though, but an occasional notice or two would be appropriate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Personally, it takes me longer to read things that are abbreviated. And many of them I don't even know and sometimes have to look them up or just skip right over them.
01-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I find myself closing threads that have a few iterations of this, regardless of how interesting the thread may be. I would just hate to see this forum spiral down to the lowest common denominator.

Thanks for listening.

Mike

01-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmmmm. not sure if I am guilty or not but I must admit I was ROTFL when I read this. Sorry I had to. I guess I need to make sure I am not a culprit here. but for those that need a little help with the translation I think this site could help. NetLingo.com Dictionary of Internet Terms: Online Definitions & Text Messaging

Really I am just joking around and agree some of it is pretty silly.

Last edited by vievetrick; 01-11-2007 at 09:20 AM.
01-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do not want to speak for the admins, but I have no problem with abbreviations (IMO, WTF, IMHO, YMMV, etc). Legitimate internet abbreviations are fine, 'texting' language is not. My title of this thread probably could be better worded.

My problem is really twofold:

First - The truncation of words such as:
ur - Your
u - You

Second - People that never use a capital letter or a period in the entire post.
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Third - People who refuse to use paragraphs.

01-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

People that can't spell. oops look at my signature.
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Third - People who refuse to use paragraphs.
And people who confuse loose for lose.
01-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Picky ain't ya. Next you'll want completely proper kings English. OK OK I can go along with Internet language, I'm to old to try and look this stuff up anyway. But let's get real there are some people who type faster then they think and misspell words with out spell checking them. It's a mistake, but their not bad people. And to ban them for this is totally ludacris. How about we ban some one for talking off topic in the off topic section. (makes sense to me) for God sake get a life.

All your doing here is flaming people. And what for? To feed your EGO for knowing how to spell or talk. If you don't understand a post then ask the questions you want answers to directly to the person that responded. Or do you think your better than the person your flaming?

All this is going to do is start a fight or hurt peoples feelings. And when It does All I will say is NOW ARE YOU HAPPY. Some peoples Kids.

In fact If you really want to get something started go to DPR and post this same thread. You could feed your Ego's there and watch all the people get banned for telling you where to stick it.

Oh, and Adam you know this post doesn't belong here. There is a section in the forum for such a post. Maybe the poster should be banned for not posting in the right section?

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 01-11-2007 at 04:00 PM.
01-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

WTF is YMMV?

I think people should be banned for putting 2 letter abbreviations in their location that only people from one country know the meaning of and only people from one country seem to do!! Please note smiley

And I think the King's English here would be great, but impossible. Queen's English would be cool too.
01-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't think asking someone to write at the lowest, most basic, level was too much to ask, really. Again, it's not my board and I certainly hold no weight here. I am simply trying to eliminate this:

this cam is da best 4 ur fotos i am luv dis cam i hav a ? bout exposure and what i nd 2 do bout 2 much lite cause u pics luk 2 good

Again, I'm a nobody here. If the admins think we should allow discourse per the above, it is of course their call. I am certainly not trying to be elitist here, just trying to establish a very broad and very basic (i.e. 1st grade level or higher) standard by which to form a coherent sentence. If this forum turns into a 'text fest' it would only serve to diminish the legitimacy of the fantastic knowledge base here.

Edit 1: Are you saying that my 'suggestion' does not belong in the suggestions forum? I really am not trying to attack you or anyone else. Which is why I placed this here rather than calling someone out directly.

On Edit 2: YMMV is 'your mileage may vary' - i.e. you may experience different results

Last edited by user440; 01-11-2007 at 04:40 PM.
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

whats the big deal with replacing "u" for "you" or your for "ur"

this is probably one of the most well spoken forum's i've been on, and i've been on a lot. try moderating a pc hardware forum full of 15 year olds. you think some of the abbreviations that are used here are bad? or obscure?

simple grammar mistakes, spelling errors or what not, even net shorthand I think is acceptable. we're posting on an internet community, not writing Pulitzer caliber articles.....

i'm sorry, but to complain on something like this, IMO is petty...

but thats just me....

QuoteQuote:

this cam is da best 4 ur fotos i am luv dis cam i hav a ? bout exposure and what i nd 2 do bout 2 much lite cause u pics luk 2 good
i dont know....i never seen someone post something that bad here....
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote

On Edit 2: YMMV is 'your mileage may vary' - i.e. you may experience different results
I can't understand that easily that's for sure, but I've been here more or less from the start and that's the first time I've tried to read something like that on here! I wouldn't worry about it too much though on this board as I think not many would even bother to read it, and fewer would bother to reply!

YMMV - ah that's why I didn't understand it, it's in miles, we advanced from them years ago!
01-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
People that can't spell. oops look at my signature.
FYI the newest version of Firefox has a built in spell checker, which is the only reason why anyone can understand what I write some days. I'm not too bad today though