Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #1

Close, deactivate, delete account

Is there anyway for me to close, delete and or deactivate my account?

06-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No. Once you make an account, it stays here.
06-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you wish to leave the forum, that is unfortunate and we wish you well. We do not delete accounts as there is no benefit to either the member or the forum in doing so; nor detriment to either by leaving them intact. You may unsubscribe from emails on PentaxForums.com - Unsubscribe, and then log off.
06-25-2013, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you wish to leave the forum, that is unfortunate and we wish you well. We do not delete accounts as there is no benefit to either the member or the forum in doing so; nor detriment to either by leaving them intact. You may unsubscribe from emails on PentaxForums.com - Unsubscribe, and then log off.
Users should be able to delete their account IMHO. It is the user to determine if an account is a benefit, not PentaxForums. I guess this is mainly a problem for PentaxForums, because it has only a limited number of active users. It would look rather awkward when the larger part of its 50,000+ members shows up in (old) posts with an 'Unsubscribed' label.
Europe is working on a 'The right to be forgotten' proposal exactly because social sites are reluctant to allow deleting accounts. Its better for PentaxForums to have such an option in place not to look disagreeable or before they are forced by law later on.

06-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Europe is working on a 'The right to be forgotten' proposal exactly because social sites are reluctant to allow deleting accounts.
I'll mention that to Adam, just in case he wants to relocate the forum to Europe.
06-25-2013, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I'm a moderator on another forum (not photography related although we do have a photography sub-forum too) and I can tell you that one of the main reasons Admins dislike deleting accounts is because doing so royally screws up the forum database system. Once a forum system has been established and in use for a period of time the links between posts and other posts, posts and other forums, posts linked to image hosting sites etc. become very convoluted and intertwined. Deleting an account is akin to cutting a hole in a fishing net and the system has to build new pathways around the hole in order to keep track of it's contents. This can lead to instability and forum crashes.

It is far better to just have the forum member walk away and let his/her posts/account sink into forum oblivion where they will gather dust alongside all the posts that were moved by Admins/Mods for breaking forum rules in some way (rule breaking posts are never deleted either, they are usually moved into a 'holding pen' that only Staff can see).
06-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Good point, Larry. I was going to say, truly deleting things in the network age is darn near impossible. The rule of thumb is, if you don't want something on the internet, don't put it there in the first place.

06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uv90 Quote
You can edit your profile to remove any personally identifying information and then just log off. As has been said, the account is here to stay because deleting it is not practicable. If you no longer want to use the forum after that, just stop coming.

Of course, he's probably already gone so will never see this... LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.
06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

They can delete the User Control Panel and the e-mail address, and keep the posts intact.
06-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe instead of deleting posts the forum could just delete attachments and photos, but keep the posts and rename the user name to "Deleted" and remove all their personal info.
I think the "deleting account" should be an option. And not because this forum is in any way bad, its just a freedom that is always nice to have, and might be important to some users.
06-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
They can delete the User Control Panel and the e-mail address, and keep the posts intact.
Yes, but eventually, someone will find fault with not being able to delete all the posts they made (especially when they were drinking), and the government probably will look into correcting that. Government (as in politicians) needs to understand that it isn't their place to run our lives or protect us from our own stupidity, unless our life is at risk.
06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
someone will find fault with not being able to delete all the posts they made
There's a few bells I'd like to un-ring too, but such is life.
06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There's a few bells I'd like to un-ring too, but such is life.
I have a hard enough time following some threads as it is. Start deleting posts and it could become impossible.
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I noticed that the edit feature expires (I tried to modify the original post in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html which is old but still alive and I failed).

Maybe at least, EDIT POST shouldn't expire.
06-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uv90 Quote
We do not delete accounts as there is no benefit to either the member or the forum in doing so; nor detriment to either by leaving them intact.
If requested by a member, would a permanent ban be possible, similar to this once-participating member? The ban would cut off all ties with PentaxForums, while leaving the posts intact.
Closed Thread