Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our First Full-Length Reviews!

Hello Everyone,

PentaxForums.com is happy to announce the publishing of our first two full-scale Pentax reviews! Thanks go to forum members -=Jon=- and carpents for contributing these specially for our site.

You will be able to view these reviews on the new mainsite page here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/index.php?page=camerareviews

These first reviews are of the K10D and its battery grip. We hope you enjoy them!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

man..i knew i missed a few things...
01-15-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

After a first quick read of the K10D review I went back here in a haste, feeling the need of express my.... well, I feel very content having read a review that can be said be sort of a thorough "Real World" hands on, and obviously also written by somebody who is both openminded and knowledgeable. Thank you Sean.
01-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two excellent reviews. Each of these held excellent information. Each also filled in the gaps which other reviews did not go into as in-depth.

Thanks!

01-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
After a first quick read of the K10D review I went back here in a haste, feeling the need of express my.... well, I feel very content having read a review that can be said be sort of a thorough "Real World" hands on, and obviously also written by somebody who is both openminded and knowledgeable. Thank you Sean.
Well then I was 100% successful, because that was my intent.

Thanks Jonas for the compliment. I hope other experienced photogs find it equally nice.
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Any suggestions, revisions, etc?

I might change the subject of the resolution tests to include (per *isteve) something with more discernable detail, like blades of grass or a USAF test chart.

Any other recommendations?
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The reviews were great, well put together and down to earth. Since I can't get the K10 I sure can read about it. The way you guys put the reviews together really made a great read and some very good information.

Well done to both Sean and Jon.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David

01-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jon and Sean,
Nice job to both of you. Well thought out, balanced and presented.

The only thing I would add about the grip are nit picks. The camera strap keeps falling in front of the view finder with the camera in the portrait position, and I wish they included an AF button on the grip also. It is difficult to reach with the grip in portrait position. Other than that I completely agree with your conclusions

Congrats to both of you. Well done.
-Alan
01-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I might change the subject of the resolution tests to include (per *isteve) something with more discernable detail, like blades of grass or a USAF test chart.

Any other recommendations?
Just don't overdo it. We know, approximately the theoretical limit of the sensor and if you get a result showing the approx the estimated 28% increase (if I get it right) in linear resolution that should be enough. It is a camera test and not a lens test, after all.
The increased possibilities to crop are important to many (yes, I often crop pictures). The K10D also gets a little more picky about the lens if the higher resolution is to give any advantage compared to the 6MP sensors. The kit lens, well... I say nothing.

Also remember that *isteve shot a freak'n atlas when comparing lenses, giving basically zero information about the absolute resolution possible... He was pretty hard to convince when I suggested he should have added the center piece of a USAF chart to the test. It's easily done if you focus carefully.

regards,
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #10

-=Jon=- & carpents

A very well written and obviously passionate review. I will be using it as a benchmark when I get my K10D.

My camera arrives on Friday. Even before reading your review I knew that I wanted/needed the grip. I have not had the K10D in my hands yet but have played with the K100 at a local shop. It did not have a grip and when I saw my pinky hanging in mid-air I knew it had to rest somewhere. I remember way back with my Minolta X700 and the dramatic change when the motor drive was added to it. It does reduce stress during long shoots and it didn't have all the bells and whistles that Pentax has given us.

I know that you can program which battery to draw the charge from and noted your nit pick about having to remove the grip to get to the battery in the body itself. Is it possible to only load the battery in the grip leaving the battery socket empty in the body? It would be one way to reduce the weight (even marginally) and you could then change out the battery in the grip.

PS - Can we nominate -=Jon=- & carpents for the best writers in the Forum?
If so, I do so nominate.......
01-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote

I wish they included an AF button on the grip also. It is difficult to reach with the grip in portrait position. Other than that I completely agree with your conclusions

Congrats to both of you. Well done.
-Alan
like I said when I first posted in this thread

QuoteOriginally posted by JoN:
man..i knew i missed a few things...
re-read, revised, that thing 20x over, and I still managed to forget a few things...
thanks for the comments

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
-=Jon=- & carpents

A very well written and obviously passionate review. I will be using it as a benchmark when I get my K10D.

I know that you can program which battery to draw the charge from and noted your nit pick about having to remove the grip to get to the battery in the body itself. Is it possible to only load the battery in the grip leaving the battery socket empty in the body? It would be one way to reduce the weight (even marginally) and you could then change out the battery in the grip.

PS - Can we nominate -=Jon=- & carpents for the best writers in the Forum?
If so, I do so nominate.......

I did mention that feature. You can do that ...(i was able to purchase the grip first before obtaining a spare battery)

thanks for the comments....