Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Where is the thread?

There once was a market place thread under the following URL
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/231479-sale-2...0-4-italy.html
where the italian guy was saying he was selling 21 A*300 / 4 lenses.

I do know I posted twice in that thread.

Now it seems a buyer from just that seller got an item with scratched front lenses and the seller does not react.

I was about to point a buyer to the abovementioned thread but now I can't find it anymore.
Surprisingly I can't find my posts in my total post history either.

What happened to the thread?
What happened to my posts?

08-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like the thread was withdrawn by the seller several weeks ago.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A seller can "withdraw" a whole thread including posts from other people????

That does open the door for all sort of criminal activities. Open a seller thread. Receive the money. "Withdraw" the thread.

Why does this have to be in PF? Why is it not sufficient to just close the thread when the stuff is sold like anywhere else?
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That does open the door for all sort of criminal activities. Open a seller thread. Receive the money. "Withdraw" the thread.
We can still see the thread with all of its posts. It didn't get deleted, it just isn't visible.

Why is it not sufficient to just close the thread when the stuff is sold like anywhere else?
Sold items are moved to the "Sold" section. This sale offer was withdrawn.

Last edited by Parallax; 08-09-2013 at 01:25 PM.
08-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, that does mitigate it a little bit.

But still: Why does that have to be possible here?
I see no good excuse for hiding a whole selling thread from the world, especially not after some time has passed and people might have bought something.
08-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I see no good excuse for hiding a whole selling thread from the world,
We see no use in leaving a sale thread, in which nothing is for sale, visible to the world.
08-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Huh? What is the "Sold items" thread for then?

08-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Huh? What is the "Sold items" thread for then?
Feedback purposes & price trends.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Feedback purposes & price trends.
Yes, exactly: feedback purposes. Only if a seller can hide his thread at his own whim, the "feedback -purposes" subforum only will contain positive feedback and give a nonsense picture to the reader.
If I sell crap I withdraw the thread and nobody can give me negative feedback any more.

This makes it a very bad platform for buyers because the negative truth can be hidden and fellow pentaxians blindly wander into the trap.

That is exactly why I suggest not allowing this hiding function.
08-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, exactly: feedback purposes. Only if a seller can hide his thread at his own whim, the "feedback -purposes" subforum only will contain positive feedback and give a nonsense picture to the reader.
If I sell crap I withdraw the thread and nobody can give me negative feedback any more.

This makes it a very bad platform for buyers because the negative truth can be hidden and fellow pentaxians blindly wander into the trap.

That is exactly why I suggest not allowing this hiding function.
You can't withdraw a thread if you've sold something (the moderators will move it to the sold section). Also, feedback is left through the feedback system for completed transactions, not in the threads themselves. If you think a seller is untrustworthy, report him or her to the moderators and the matter will be investigated.

While I appreciate your feedback, we will not be removing the withdraw feature, nor will we be making expired threads visible to the public. Back when they were visible (several months ago), people would register just because they were interested in the item, only to learn that it was no longer available.

Adam

08-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As far as I understand it, at least one person did buy an item, so that was sold. Still nothing was moved to the sold section.

How do you know something was sold? Because the "seller" says so? I hope not.
08-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The forum policy and the rationale behind it has been clearly explained. If you are unhappy with the policy, that's unfortunate.
08-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As far as I understand it, at least one person did buy an item, so that was sold. Still nothing was moved to the sold section.

How do you know something was sold? Because the "seller" says so? I hope not.
According our records, no copies of the lens were sold through the Marketplace. I saw a thread with a complaint about an ebay sale- ebay tends to be nice to buyers, so I'm sure the buyer will get a refund if they want one.

Adam

08-13-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

After reading the thread it's no wonder the seller withdrew the listing...