Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

Bad idea. "Reputation" ratings more often than not devolve into bash fests where one clique will start "hating" another clique and just "hate" everything they post.

If you want a "hater" system allow people to "like" or "hate" a post and simple show the number of likes vs hates on a post and show the grand total number of "likes" vs "hates" a member has cast on their profile summary.

The profile summary now shows total posts and likes just add hates and leave it at that. Draw your own conclusion from the numbers rather than an actual rating/reputation. Of course someone can always offset their "hate" count by "liking" posts. No system is going to be perfect.

08-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I hate this thread
08-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #18

No need to have a haters button, just overload them with kindness until they pop a gasket.
08-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We should also have a 'Lover' option.

And while we are at it, all the K01 and Q folks deserve a free 'lover' tag for sticking to their cameras despite all the 'hate'

08-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I hate this thread
That's the spirit, now don't you wish you had a special "hater place" to say that?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax is the longest "relationship" I have ever had!
Pentax outlasted 2 wives. One of them took some of my Pentax gear, and i still want to rob her house, years later.
08-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
We should also have a 'Lover' option.

And while we are at it, all the K01 and Q folks deserve a free 'lover' tag for sticking to their cameras despite all the 'hate'
In the same way, each and every Pentaxian should get a free 'lover' tage for sticking to Pentax, despite all the 'hate'.
08-19-2013, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the "Haters" here are not haters. They are Pentax supporters who are just frustrated and that occasionally (and understandably) comes out in their posting. The important thing is to distinguish them from the true hater/trolls. (Yes, we do have one or two of those.)

08-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Since we are talking about options... we need a "swingers" button ... ummmm ... for those who jumps ships... (huh... saved it... )
08-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Since we are talking about options... we need a "swingers" button ... ummmm ... for those who jumps ships... (huh... saved it... )
Darn it newt, quit complicating the issue....
08-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When DPR first added the button to Like a post, they also added a Dislike button (I don't remember what it was called exactly). It didn't last long, and caused a lot of conflict and abuse for the short time it was available. Personally I liked the Dislike button, but I doubt we'll see one here, for good reason.
08-19-2013, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

As a teacher and coach my philosophy was build on the positive... use negatives only when necessary. I'm almost opposed to a hate button. The folks on here that get locked in semantical arguments with me know who they are. (And so do tons of people who wish they didn't know.) They don't need a mechanism whereby I advertise our little problem to everyone.... I honestly wouldn't use it on philosophical grounds... even though the idea gives me no end of amusement.
08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I honestly wouldn't use it on philosophical grounds... even though the idea gives me no end of amusement.
Ditto. +1
08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I post on the Reddit photography sub-forum. Reddit normally has an upvote/downvote system, where good posts get upvotes and "bad" posts get downvotes. Good posts rise to the top of the forum, and bad posts sink into the nether void.

The problem with the downvote system was that people started confusing "bad posts" with "posts they don't like/agree with". So, even if a post presented a good piece of information or was a well crafted argument, if it didn't jive with a particular reader, it would be downvoted.

Also, certain people would get downvoted by groups of people for having unpopular views, even if they were well within the rules and terms of the subforum.

It got so bad that the mods put in a little popup that would show when your mouse cursor hovered over the downvote button stating that "downvotes are only for bad posts, and not for posts you disagree with" (some sort of message like that).

The downvote system was abolished. Instead, only the upvote system remained. And it works. Good stuff rises to the top. Stuff that isn't so popular gets its time in the sun before slowly fading away. Truly bad stuff (things that violate the terms of the subforum, spam links, etc.) gets reported and wiped, but only by mods. And that's really how it should be.

So I think the proper way to deal with "haters" is the "ignore user" button, and not some kind of vote-based hater tag.
08-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
When DPR first added the button to Like a post, they also added a Dislike button (I don't remember what it was called exactly). It didn't last long, and caused a lot of conflict and abuse for the short time it was available. Personally I liked the Dislike button, but I doubt we'll see one here, for good reason.
I forgot to mention that the Dislike button was anonymous, which seems cowardly, and fostered abuse.
08-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I forgot to mention that the Dislike button was anonymous, which seems cowardly, and fostered abuse.
Oh yeah, the upvote/downvote system on Reddit is anonymous too. And yes, it is cowardly. If you make a post that someone really hates, they will go through your ENTIRE HISTORY and downvote EVERYTHING.