Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Jim, sorry if I came off as mean/angry/sarcastic. I didn't mean it that way. No?
fuggetaboutit, no?

10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
that's why they do it, and I'm sure someone is getting a quarter every time someone clicks one of those adds, hell, I almost did, I like Yamaha recievers.
More like a quarter of a fraction of a cent...
10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
More like a quarter of a fraction of a cent...
They probably make more than you'd expect off that site. People pull this sort of thing all the time just to get passive ad revenue with zero effort.

In any case, I've submitted a takedown request, and Google should comply.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Adam. I was just checking a couple of my images and found the Kit lens club thread as advertising here List Of The Kit Lens Club Page Pentaxforums Com - Getintravel.org
I guess PF is even more popular than I thought. Personally I thought The other advertising around our photos was rather tasteless.

10-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I was just checking a couple of my images and found the Kit lens club thread as advertising here List Of The Kit Lens Club Page Pentaxforums Com - Getintravel.org
I guess PF is even more popular than I thought. Personally I thought The other advertising around our photos was rather tasteless.
This is depressing. There's all these bot-generated spam sites, and we're (inadvertently) giving them their content. It doesn't have to make any sense, as long as it generates some traffic. Clicks = $$$. We're spam food.

10-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like I might need to disable the RSS feeds...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like I might need to disable the RSS feeds...
Does that include the main page RSS? Or just thread rss?

10-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Probably just the photo sharing forum RSS, since it seems that's what is being abused.

Adam

10-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

It's not just the photo sharing forums, here's one of my posts from the K-01 forum...
10-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Does that include the main page RSS? Or just thread rss?
At the risk of sounding stupid what are RSS feeds?
10-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

At the risk of sounding stupid what are RSS feeds?
Basically a computer-readable format of any web site with frequently-updated content. Feeds can be used to follow content on desktop applications, mobile apps, etc. They can also be used by web programmers to integrate external content into a web site.

Adam

10-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I disabled the feeds and it looks like their little blog has stopped functioning. I still expect it to be taken down regardless.

Adam

10-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume that without the RSS ,we will no longer receive notification on the threads we are subscribed to. Correct?
10-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

e will no longer receive notification on the threads we are subscribed to. Correct?
I don't believe that the two are connected. You should still get the notifications.
10-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I still get notifications from threads I spoken in Patrick, you should too.