Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A new open auction forum

Just wondering if a new open auctioning forum in marketplace in addition to our beloved sales forum would interesting to members?

If I'm selling something which is not materializing on sales forum or for whatever reasons, I can just auction it out here than going to evilbay. Off course I can't list the same item at both the forums. I can set a minimum price and members can openly bid their price, unlike our sale forum. I can even end the auction before the end time if my price is met.

may be an experimental forum?

10-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Just wondering if a new open auctioning forum in marketplace in addition to our beloved sales forum would interesting to members?

If I'm selling something which is not materializing on sales forum or for whatever reasons, I can just auction it out here than going to evilbay. Off course I can't list the same item at both the forums. I can set a minimum price and members can openly bid their price, unlike our sale forum. I can even end the auction before the end time if my price is met.

may be an experimental forum?
Might be worth a shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

good idea
10-07-2013, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

If you have something for sale and it is not selling, then you asking price is obviously too high.

You could do the opposite of what you are talking about and drop your listed price in increments every other day until someone bites.

Setting up rules for an auction style listing would be very hard I think - you already said that if you had something in a auction style sale you would just end the sale when you price was met - doesn't sound right to me.

10-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Give it a try, I've got hundreds of squirrels ready to auction off. I've never had a damn bit of luck trying to sell them.

Regards!
10-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't use any facility that relies solely on using Paypal - as a seller, it's too easy to get scammed. I've stopped using the For-sale board on this forum for the exact same reason after having been informed Paypal is mandatory. Been bitten once by a Paypal scam, won't ever risk loosing item and money again.
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I wouldn't use any facility that relies solely on using Paypal - as a seller, it's too easy to get scammed. I've stopped using the For-sale board on this forum for the exact same reason after having been informed Paypal is mandatory. Been bitten once by a Paypal scam, won't ever risk loosing item and money again.
Paypal isn't mandatory. The only requirement is that a payment service with buyer protection be offered for international transactions as well as transactions >$500.

This means that you can use any credit card processor, Google Wallet, etc.

You can of course also offer traditional payment methods in addition to these services.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Paypal isn't mandatory. The only requirement is that a payment service with buyer protection be offered for international transactions as well as transactions >$500.

This means that you can use any credit card processor, Google Wallet, etc.

You can of course also offer traditional payment methods in addition to these services.
Adam, I respect the rules of this forum and do not want to re-do any discussions that may have taken place in the past. The credit card option is simply not viable for an individual who is not a business. As a buyer, I applaud this restriction but as a seller, it makes my life miserable.

I was not aware of the Google wallet option yet, I'll check in to that. What I need is a payment scheme that protects both buyer AND seller, that's all. With Paypal, once the buyer complains, a seller's money is either blocked for a long time or even refunded to the buyer. Only defense seems to be registered, signed-for mail or courier delivery. Unlike the US, courier delivery services in Europa are really outrageously expensive.

All in all: I get the point of what you're trying to do but it forces me to choose selling via the local equivalent of Craigslist or other EU photography forums (at least, it has until I checkout the Google wallet option you mentioned).

It's only once in a while that I upgrade gear and want to get rid of something - I'm on a tight budget and the last paypal scam the buyer pulled off put me out of some €300 (with my lens gone forever of course) - just cannot afford any repeat performance.
10-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's only once in a while that I upgrade gear and want to get rid of something - I'm on a tight budget and the last paypal scam the buyer pulled off put me out of some €300 (with my lens gone forever of course) - just cannot afford any repeat performance.
How was the buyer able to do that? You received the Paypal payment and then sent the lens, no? How did he got the money back?
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
How was the buyer able to do that? You received the Paypal payment and then sent the lens, no? How did he got the money back?
He claimed the item never arrived/box arrived empty/some other odd reason. Shipping was regular PostNL package inside Europe so you do not get POD verification from the Postal services. Noticed a few weeks after he was posting shots taken with what seemed to be my lens. Couldn't get paypal to take a look - they had "closed the case". Had another issue few years ago with smaller item sold to US - package service used showed delivered and signed for, buyer claimed he never received item - got his (my) money back without discussion.

Without being xenophobic, I tend to be extra careful nowadays towards the newer EU member states in the east. Even gone so far as to apply Transparency International ratings into my decision of whether to buy from there or not.

As said, I love paypal when buying - the protection is really nice to have. As a very incidental seller I've had issues with them.
10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Same thing applies to the regular sale forum so what's different here? I think we going off track bringing in payment mechanism.