Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know Otis....he thinks the whole damn Pentax Forum should be about magnificent squirrels, with sub-forums on exotic nuts and articles on the bravery and high intelligence of squirrels in general.
If this is not possible, he said he'd settle for an entire Sub-Forum full of NSFW photos.

Regards!

10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You know Otis....he thinks the whole damn Pentax Forum should be about magnificent squirrels, with sub-forums on exotic nuts and articles on the bravery and high intelligence of squirrels in general.
If this is not possible, he said he'd settle for an entire Sub-Forum full of NSFW photos.

Regards!
You mean like this?

10-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On a side node, I'd still like to add 1 or 2 new sections related specifically to photography or photo sharing, as as it is right now I think our site is skewed a bit too far toward gear. Further suggestions would be welcome!

I just had another thought Adam.

Look at the front of the forum (in order)....

Rumors is #1.

The visitors... then gear... gear and gear...

You don't even get to the 'sharing forums' unless you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I think that reordering how this stuff appears and in what order should reflect what the forum should all be about. If you want it to be more about sharing photos, put that at the top... but for the love of sanity put the rumor's section on the bottom somewhere...out of sight as possible.

I really think there should be some serious talk amongst the mods about what is valued most by the forum and arrange the forum to reflect that.

Right now as it is laid out it encourages rumors and gear talk and relegates the sharing of member's photos way down the list.

I have my ideas... but those are just mine.

The headline top line should be to showcase people's work, even if they are beginners (like me). Second should be the instruction and Q&A stuff. This I think will set a better tone for what is expected out of a photography related forum... then down the list we can do the marketplace and then the lens reviews and then a far distant towards the end... 'rumors'...

If I was a first time visitor 'rumors' just might be the first thing I saw and could possibly lead me to believe that is what PF is all about... That and gear. If you got a gear question or want to read up on rumors this is the place to go... everything else... eh... not so much....
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I just had another thought Adam.

Look at the front of the forum (in order)....

Rumors is #1.

The visitors... then gear... gear and gear...

You don't even get to the 'sharing forums' unless you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I think that reordering how this stuff appears and in what order should reflect what the forum should all be about. If you want it to be more about sharing photos, put that at the top... but for the love of sanity put the rumor's section on the bottom somewhere...out of sight as possible.

I really think there should be some serious talk amongst the mods about what is valued most by the forum and arrange the forum to reflect that.

Right now as it is laid out it encourages rumors and gear talk and relegates the sharing of member's photos way down the list.

I have my ideas... but those are just mine.

The headline top line should be to showcase people's work, even if they are beginners (like me). Second should be the instruction and Q&A stuff. This I think will set a better tone for what is expected out of a photography related forum... then down the list we can do the marketplace and then the lens reviews and then a far distant towards the end... 'rumors'...

If I was a first time visitor 'rumors' just might be the first thing I saw and could possibly lead me to believe that is what PF is all about... That and gear. If you got a gear question or want to read up on rumors this is the place to go... everything else... eh... not so much....
I was actually thinking along the same lines. We'll give it a trial run, and if things work out (i.e. forum traffic increases), it'll stay that way.

For now, I've rearranged the main categories a bit. I may consider moving the rumors forum down and merging the camera help category with the general category at the top of the page.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Hows about some sort of section or maybe just a sticky thread with some links/ratings for experiences with certain stores/online retailers? Obviously Adorama and B&H are greatly trusted, however there's a lot of other places that maybe only sell online or on eBay/Amazon and it's not easy to tell if they're worth buying from or if they sell crap.

Just an idea.
10-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Hows about some sort of section or maybe just a sticky thread with some links/ratings for experiences with certain stores/online retailers? Obviously Adorama and B&H are greatly trusted, however there's a lot of other places that maybe only sell online or on eBay/Amazon and it's not easy to tell if they're worth buying from or if they sell crap.

Just an idea.
Feel free to start the thread

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: