Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consecutive posts will be auto-merged

Some of you may be familiar with how consecutive "bumps" in the Marketplace get fused together into a single post if they're made within 40 hours of each other and nobody else replies to your thread.

I just wanted to let you guys know that this system has now been enabled in our other forums, albeit to a lesser extent. Any consecutive posts made within 1 hour of each other will be automatically merged into a single post.

If you notice any erratic behavior by the forum system as a result of this, please be sure to let me know so I can look into the problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

cool no more editing

---------- Post added 02-06-14 at 05:22 PM ----------

if i need to add a thought
02-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

These consecutive posts were never a problem until this new February contest started which is nothing more than a post count race. At least you put some control into it now.
02-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
These consecutive posts were never a problem until this new February contest started which is nothing more than a post count race. At least you put some control into it now.
I don't think it's a big problem at all, but some users don't know about the multi-quote feature so they end up quoting each reply in a separate post, which really hurts readability.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Received notice this am that I had a ton of posts quoted. I only looked at the first ten and they were from two people. System seemed to repeat itself. Maybe another tweak?
02-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got quoted in a post that was auto-merged with 10 other posts. The system said I was quoted 11 times even though I was only quoted once. I had another one last night where it said I was quoted 4 time. Like Susan says, it's an issue.
02-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Received notice this am that I had a ton of posts quoted. I only looked at the first ten and they were from two people. System seemed to repeat itself. Maybe another tweak?
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I got quoted in a post that was auto-merged with 10 other posts. The system said I was quoted 11 times even though I was only quoted once. I had another one last night where it said I was quoted 4 time. Like Susan says, it's an issue.
Thanks for catching this bug! The issue should be fixed now. If it isn't, let me know. You should only get a new notification if the pre-merge post contains a quote.

Adam

02-08-2014, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One logic flaw. Reply to PostA in a thread on Topic A1. Immediately reply to PostB from a different poster, making a different point, perhaps on topic B1. Two Replies to two posters on two Topics or points are auto-merged into one, complex Post. This can actually make the thread less readable.

Those of us who know how to use Mulit-Quote use it when appropriate and want not to use it when it isn't.
02-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, when I tried posting replies to some members on one of my threads, I saw that the reply posts were being bundled up into one single "flow" of replies.
Here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/251200-nature-big-whi...-took-off.html
At that time, I wasn't aware of this new "system" and thought that the forum had gone weird, until someone was nice enough to point this new thing to me.

Someone said that some people who started threads had taken the habit of thanking everyone in a succession of posts (not the exact wording) and I think it will be a good thing to bundle all of the "thanks" in one, although I did prefer the previous way of doing things on regular threads.

It is OK for the Marketplace though.

JP
02-11-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

JP - a good way to do what you want is to use the multi-quote function.

Next to the quote button is a little square icon - you click on that icon for each post you want to quote, then on the last one also hit the quote button. Then they will all be there when you respond - you can insert your "thanks" or whatever.
02-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next to the quote button is a little square icon - you click on that icon for each post you want to quote, then on the last one also hit the quote button. Then they will all be there when you respond - you can insert your "thanks" or whatever.
Thanks for the tip !! I'll try it that way then, much simpler indeed.

JP
02-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you. Had never worked out the multi post feature.
02-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Thank you. Had never worked out the multi post feature.
The multi quote button works well. But there's an even easier method- simply highlight someone else's text and you'll see a little menu. Click on "Quote this text" and then quote as many people as you'd like The quote will show up in the quick reply editor.

Adam

02-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter

None of that works on the mobile version though, so the auto merge is a godsend!
02-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I used to make 3 consecutive posts of 3 images each in a particular thread to limit the number of images on a page to keep from gumming up some people's load time. Now, it's a bit funky, though I'll get over it :-)