Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How About A Macro Forum?

I know this comes up every once in a while, I'll give it another try...
How about a full PF forum, under ' Photography', for Macro and close-up photography?
If you go by 'Post Your Photos!' or 'Critique' subject popularity, how many times a contest or challenge theme, questions, threads/photos in techniques, field, lighting, lens and so on, it has to be one of the single biggest theme/subject/technique (see what I mean?) topics here. But, it's widely scattered.
Maybe that's just as good a reason to keep it broken up?
So, if there was one general topic to be selected for a new dedicated forum here, should it be Macro + Close Up?
Ron

02-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't this one count?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/129563-macro-lens-club.html
02-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's A Start!

Hi Stan,
That's pretty much what I mean. If you're starting out with a general interest in macro/close-ups and want to dig further, you could search under 'SLR Lenses' , Lens clubs, photographic techniques, field equipment, flashes and lighting, general, etc. Then scan each forum for your answer or related thread.
There's lots of ways to do it, a dedicated search, multiple forum browsing, new posts, key words.
I believe a dedicated forum for Macro would combine enough of the overall topics to make everyone's life easier. The same could be said for sports, wildlife, street, B+W, studio, wedding and so on. I'm not suggesting a zillion sub-forums, just trying to consolidate one major one.
Or, not?
Ron
02-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think this is a good suggestion. Since the relatively-new tutorials forum doesn't seem to getting much use, it might make sense to replace with with a macro section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think this is a good suggestion. Since the relatively-new tutorials forum doesn't seem to getting much use, it might make sense to replace with with a macro section.
Adam - if you do set it up, it might be good to also have sticky posts with the Dirt Cheap Macro info in it, and possibly a thread or demo about removing the black paint from anodized extension tubes. Every time somebody asks about extension tubes or whatnot to do with macro, somebody has to find the link to the Dirt Cheap post and send them in that direction.
02-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I see your point Ron. After thinking about this, I guess a person wouldn't look in the lens club section for tips on macro work. And I agree that macro seems to be a popular topic especially with some folks new to the craft. I do quite a bit myself but of course still have so much to learn. I don't consider what I do true macro work, but close up work fits it better but still with the need of a macro lens.

Wildlife is another subject. Most of the wildlife photos are in the 300mm lens club section. There is a wildlife thread in the same place the macro thread is that I linked, but gets very little activity.

I guess any of this could be posted in "post your photos", but I shy away from posting images in that thread for other reasons.

Tutorials forum - didn't know it existed until I just went looking for it.........
02-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I guess any of this could be posted in "post your photos", but I shy away from posting images in that thread for other reasons.
The one thing about macro is there is so much to the technique that is universal - thinking about getting enough light, the narrow depth of field you have to deal with and for some the technique of focus stacking - which doesn't appear to the same extent for other styles of photography that I can see a lot of merits in pulling all of this into one home.

02-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thank you, Adam. If this shows more support, it may clear up scattered threads and make browsing easier for some. I think the Tutorials are great, well done, but you know better than anyone how it's working out. FWIW, a Macro Tutorial would be high on my list of potential stickies. Any volunteers?

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Adam - if you do set it up, it might be good to also have sticky posts with the Dirt Cheap Macro info in it, and possibly a thread or demo about removing the black paint from anodized extension tubes. Every time somebody asks about extension tubes or whatnot to do with macro, somebody has to find the link to the Dirt Cheap post and send them in that direction.

MSL, thanks for the support, on the Forum listing of ' Macro + Close Up' header, there could be stickies like DIY Macro, Macro Lenses, Lighting & Light Modifiers, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
After thinking about this, I guess a person wouldn't look in the lens club section for tips on macro work. And I agree that macro seems to be a popular topic especially with some folks new to the craft
Stan, you're right, they might find the threads with macro in the title (on the Lens Club forum) but may not recognize terms like Lester Dine, Bokina (Monster, King), The Glow, extension tubes, ring light, portable reflector, focus stacking, light tent and other genre-specific titles. Some could be just as helpful, if understood to be part of a macro lens search.
All in one place, with a few intro stickies.
Anyone else onboard (or not) with this?
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 02-23-2014 at 02:45 PM.