Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Feature: Ignore Threads

Today I'm happy to unveil our latest forum feature: the ability to selectively ignore threads that you are not interested in. Ignored threads will not appear in the forum listings, searches, or the "new posts" screen. Normal and sticky threads alike can be ignored.

To add a thread to your ignore list, simply click on the X icon at the top of the thread:
Name:  ss1.png
Views: 578
Size:  36.6 KB

A list of ignored threads can be accessed via the User CP:
Name:  ss2.png
Views: 622
Size:  43.6 KB

From this page, you have the ability to open or un-ignore any ignored threads. You can un-ignore a thread by clicking on the X icon again when inside the thread, or by clicking on the appropriate link as shown in the screenshot below.
Name:  ss3.png
Views: 679
Size:  32.6 KB

On mobile, you will see an "Ignore Thread" button below the quick reply editor, beside the Subscribe button. A list of ignored threads can similarly be seen from the User CP, which is linked to from the footer.
Name:  ss4.png
Views: 531
Size:  20.7 KB

This feature has been suggested by multiple members over the course of the past few years, and given the fact that the number of threads on the forum is growing, I thought this might help active users to browse the site more easily (i.e. by filtering out irrelevant threads or stickies meant for beginners).

Please note:
  • You are limited to a total of 100 ignored threads at a time, so don't go trying to ignore an entire forum. You can do that via an option at the bottom of this page.
  • This feature isn't supported when using Tapatalk (while we're on the subject, Tapatalk support will likely be dropped in the future as we have a robust mobile site)
  • Ignored threads can always be accessed directly if you know the thread URL
  • Ignored threads will still show up in the sidebar and in RSS feeds
  • You will not automatically be unsubscribed from Ignored threads, so be sure to unsubscribed manually before ignoring
  • Ignored threads will still be included in daily/weekly notification e-mails

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice Adam - thank you!
03-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Boy, howdy! Thanks!
03-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great!!!

03-28-2014, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Can we get a prize for "Most Ignored" poster? I haven't won anything in a long time.

Regards!
06-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, you can have only 100 ignored threads at a time. It was somewhat futile, so I've unignored them, and will ignore them the old fashioned way :-) It would be nice to be able to ignore certain sub-forums, though...
06-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, you can have only 100 ignored threads at a time. It was somewhat futile, so I've unignored them, and will ignore them the old fashioned way :-) It would be nice to be able to ignore certain sub-forums, though...
You already can- see your user CP options.

Also, I've bumped the limit to 200 for you

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You already can- see your user CP options.

Also, I've bumped the limit to 200 for you
Excellent - I see it way at the bottom. I'll give it a try :-)
12-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very useful! I can't believe that I'd actually be using this feature
12-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Excellent! I can think of one thread I'll be ignoring...
12-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope that Adam can soon introduce a feature wherein if say, the word "Sony", "FF", "video", "Samsung" has been used or appears in the thread ten times, I can have the option to automatically ignore it.
12-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As long as there's no "ignore user" function. I was a member of a forum that had that. It was supposed to reduce hostilities (it was a Blu-ray vs. HD DVD forum back in the day of the format war, so there was also Xbox vs PS3 mixed in there) but really just increased them. It lead to parroting without realizing it and when A figured out that B ignored him...well...you can imagine how that went.
12-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
As long as there's no "ignore user" function.
Ah, but there is such a feature. Around PentaxForums it is refereed to as being "boriscletoed". Ignoring a user is a standard function of Forum software. If it somehow leads to abuse and other problems than it is just a question of a poorly moderated forum.
12-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'll just ignore this new improved functionality.
12-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
As long as there's no "ignore user" function.
Sometimes I wish it would be possible to ignore some members. It concerns only non English writers. Well, it's much personal, but they get my nerve for past two month...