Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Please don't drop Tapatalk

Hi Adam,

in another thread you wrote
"Tapatalk support will likely be dropped in the future as we have a robust mobile site"
Could I kindly ask you to keep supporting Tapatalk?

The mobile version of the site is great, but Tapatalk is a completely different experience. I feel the way font sizes and the layout are optimised for very small smart phone displays on Tapatalk is unsurpassed.

It would be big loss for me if I had to switch to the much slower and much less readable mobile website version.

03-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #2

Mee too, I love my tapatalk, all my favourite forums in the same place.
03-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Another vote here.
03-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The issue lies with security, as it seems that with each release, Tapatalk does more things without going through the core forum framework. So as long a we don't have to modify the tapatalk code to properly enforce forum permissions (i.e. anti-spam measures and posting on the marketplace), it'll be around. But I fear that day will come sooner or later...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And that will be the day I unfortunately will stop reading much of the site.

While I post pictures from my PC, I do much of my surfing of the site whilst away from home on my phone or from my iPad in the lounge room.

The mobile version is pretty good. But tapatalk still is more convenient.

Just my 2c
03-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
And that will be the day I unfortunately will stop reading much of the site.

While I post pictures from my PC, I do much of my surfing of the site whilst away from home on my phone or from my iPad in the lounge room.

The mobile version is pretty good. But tapatalk still is more convenient.

Just my 2c
Then I guess we'll have to either improve the mobile site or launch a dedicated app before then

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't like TapaTalk so just use a browser on my iPad for all fora I frequent. I can't see why one would use TT on an iPad.

I don't use my iPhone to access the forum. I can live without any forum if I'm out and about.

I know another forum I frequent occasionally drops TT access because of the reasons Adam mentioned.

03-29-2014, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't even know what you're talking about. Don't try to explain--I'm stuck in the 1980s.
03-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to work in high tech stuff but now I've retired, I've become a Luddite!
04-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I can't see why one would use TT on an iPad.
I wouldn't use TT on an iPad either.

But on an iPhone, it makes a world of a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Then I guess we'll have to either improve the mobile site or launch a dedicated app before then
That would be great.

Things to consider:
  • Fonts need to be large enough to allow easy reading on a small phone display.
  • Buttons need to be large. I can control the Tapatalk interface with one thumb only. The latter is impossible with the regular HTML version.
  • Reduction to the essential. I'm afraid on a small display there is no space for side bars, excessive signatures, etc.
04-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

TapaTalk used to be great, but lately every update seems to reduce its usefulness.
04-02-2014, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That would be great. Things to consider: Fonts need to be large enough to allow easy reading on a small phone display. Buttons need to be large. I can control the Tapatalk interface with one thumb only. The latter is impossible with the regular HTML version. Reduction to the essential. I'm afraid on a small display there is no space for side bars, excessive signatures, etc.
Have you tried the new mobile skin? It's got much larger fonts and finger-friendly buttons compared to the old one we had back in 2013.

Adam

04-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Can't stand forums trying to tell me to install some razzerfratzin' app to view them. I stood in line and spent a load of money for that release day iphone so I could view real websites, not "mobile" ones, and my view on that hasn't changed several smartphones later. The regular forum here works perfectly fine on a smartphone without going into the mobile skin.
04-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
TapaTalk used to be great, but lately every update seems to reduce its usefulness.
I haven't updated it in years, so it is still great for me.
04-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried the new mobile skin?
Thanks for pointing out that there has been a change.

I had set my preferences so that I get to see the regular site even on my mobile device because I did not like the old mobile skin.

The current mobile skin is much, much better!
I'll keep it from now on and will play with it some more to see what the trade-offs are w.r.t. Tapatalk.