Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Width of posted photos

The general rule for posting photos is to limit them to 912 px, except for the first post. This rule seems to me to be honoured more in the breach than the observance, however I need to point out that doing so is a constant source of annoyance to anyone without a wide-screen monitor, especially on a tablet. In the latter case, I am aware that there is a mobile version of the site available, but frankly it's not satisfactory for anything much bigger than an iPhone screen. The posting of outsized photos renders the rest of the thread page unreadable. Perhaps some automation would be helpful to reduce outsize photos to the required limit, but anything would be of assistance.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-14-2014 at 03:50 PM.
05-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The general rule for posting photos is to limit them to 912 px, except for the first post. This rule seems to me to be honoured more in the breach than the observance, however I need to point out that doing so is a constant source of annoyance to anyone without a wide-screen monitor, especially on a tablet. In the latter case, I am aware that there is a mobile version of the site available, but frankly it's not satisfactory for anything much bigger than an iPhone screen. The posting of outsized photos renders the rest of the thread page unreadable. Perhaps some automation would be helpful to reduce outsize photos to the required limit, but anything would be of assistance.
I think that rule is a bit dated. Where did you find it?

In your user cp you'll find an option to automatic image scaling. It defaults to 1280px and has increased over time as the average screen size increases; yours might still be set to 800px or 1024px for instance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that rule is a bit dated. Where did you find it?

In your user cp you'll find an option to automatic image scaling. It defaults to 1280px and has increased over time as the average screen size increases; yours might still be set to 800px or 1024px for instance.
Hi Adam. I found it in the Rules section that I was directed to by a Moderator. It's not that my photo postings are limited to the smaller size, the issue I was flagging was that many photos posted seem to be extremely wide, which causes the rest of the thread page to shrink to an unreadable size on a tablet, or to hide the bulk of the photo on a PC, so you have to change the scale of the page to see it all, or scroll horizontally.
05-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Adam. I found it in the Rules section that I was directed to by a Moderator. It's not that my photo postings are limited to the smaller size, the issue I was flagging was that many photos posted seem to be extremely wide, which causes the rest of the thread page to shrink to an unreadable size on a tablet, or to hide the bulk of the photo on a PC, so you have to change the scale of the page to see it all, or scroll horizontally.
That's why the auto-scaling feature is there. Most desktop users never see embedded images wider than 1280px; on the mobile skin, photos are automatically scaled to fit the screen width.

Can you please post a link to the rules page?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The link I was referred to is this one. The specific reference was under General Forums Rules:
Posting Images
•In order to prevent horizontal scrolling for most site users while maximizing the allowed size of posed images, no images wider than 912px are allowed in forum posts except in the first posts of threads in Post Your Photos or the Marketplace, where the maximum width is increased to 1024px.
05-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The link I was referred to is this one. The specific reference was under General Forums Rules:
Posting Images
•In order to prevent horizontal scrolling for most site users while maximizing the allowed size of posed images, no images wider than 912px are allowed in forum posts except in the first posts of threads in Post Your Photos or the Marketplace, where the maximum width is increased to 1024px.
Thanks! I've now edited it out.

Adam