Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Post to multiple threads at once

More and more I find myself wanting to share with multiple ‘groups’ on PentaxForums.com based on the equipment, technique and subject of my photos.

For example: I might have a photo of a backlit insect taken with my DA 35mm Limited. I would like to share such a photo with the enthusiasts in the following popular threads (non-exhaustive list):

Show me your insects
Backlit - Post your Backlit Shots
Theory on the DA 35mm ltd ‘greatest lens ever’ (?) tag
The DA Limited Club

It would be great to write a single post that then cross-posts to all the provided threads (with indications). I imagine this would be run through the user's Control Panel and could make use of the user's Subscribed Threads. I.e. The user could compose their post and choose from a drop down list which of their Subscribed Threads the post should appear in.

07-18-2014, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Having identical content appear in different places is an internet best practises 'no no'. Google penalizes for this--it can lower a site's ranking on search engine results.

Better if you post in one place, and then create links pointing to your original post in the other forums. Google rewards this.
07-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Having identical content appear in different places is an internet best practises 'no no'. Google penalizes for this--it can lower a site's ranking on search engine results.
We discourage it here as well. In addition to that, posting multiple threads on the same subject is prohibited by pentaxforums.com rules.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-18-2014 at 02:56 PM.
07-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote

Better if you post in one place, and then create links pointing to your original post in the other forums. Google rewards this.
Well we can't displease our Google overlords now can we?!

I think your suggestion to create links in related threads is a possible solution. So when I said to generate [duplicate] posts in other threads (with a cross-posting disclaimer), instead make that something more like your single post is rendered in the other threads. Likely goes against the structure of the database underlying these forums, and how Google indexes, I would bet. Having just a link (which would require a post in each thread) would be a good second best, but there would be a subset of users who would choose not to view the linked content and so the 'conversation' wouldn't be that great.

Oh well, sounds like I've got a lame duck idea here. Thanks for informing me/us on how it works, though.

Cheers,
Mark