Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So when does PF get a new K-S1 subforum?

Looks like PF is going to grow a bit this year with another body to support.

08-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Looks like PF is going to grow a bit this year with another body to support.
This is assuming people will actually buy the K-S1. We might have to wait until the fire sale

But yes, the number of section-specific sub-forums is inevitably going to drop. We'll have to archive the K-r section and make room for the K-S1 that way, or just add it to the K-50 forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think you would combine the K-5 and K-30/K-50 subforums into a a larger K-5/50/500/30 forum. That seems to look like one family of Pentax products.

Is the K-S1 and K-3 part of the same family by chance? Is there enough of shared platform between them?
08-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think you would combine the K-5 and K-30/K-50 subforums into a a larger K-5/50/500/30 forum. That seems to look like one family of Pentax products.

Is the K-S1 and K-3 part of the same family by chance? Is there enough of shared platform between them?
The K-S1 is much closer to the K-50 than the K-3. I think a grouping by CPU is the most appropriate since that tends to correspond to the different camera classes fairly well.

Once cameras become old enough (let's say 5 or 6 years), their respective forums will be archived rather than being combined with other sections.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It sounds like the K-s1 is the first of at least a few K-s? that Ricoh intends to offer. That proves nothing of course, intent never guarantees anything.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is assuming people will actually buy the K-S1. We might have to wait until the fire sale
Yes I'm alone in the echo chamber with my pre-order, it seems if Pentax is a rare brand, the K-s1 will put the K-01 to shame for imagers off the beaten path!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 09-16-2014 at 08:49 PM.
09-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Yes I'm alone in the echo chamber with my pre-order, it seems if Pentax is a rare brand, the K-s1 will put the K-01 to shame for imagers off the beaten path!
Jim, I think it's inevitable that I'll be joining you in there eventually (That Woot Q7 sale on Friday ruled out any chance of a pre-order - it wasn't fair - I was tired; I was weak!). I'm dreading a repeat of the K-01 Wars.
09-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to suggest making the highest level distinction the mount (Q/K/645/Compacts) and then have groupings of bodies within where the number of bodies warrant it.

In the case of K-mount, it would be something like this:
- Film bodies
- Advanced (K-10, K-20, K-7, K-5, K-3)
- Mainstream (K-100 . . . .K-x . . . . K-30, K-50, K-500)
- Innovation (K-01, K-S1) - I can't think of a better moniker than "innovation"
- K-mount lenses

This seems clean and logical to me. It would also bring the K-01 or any future K-mount mirrorless cameras together with other K-mount cameras.

09-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Once cameras become old enough (let's say 5 or 6 years), their respective forums will be archived rather than being combined with other sections.
Adam:
When you say "archived", will those articles/threads/posts still be available?
09-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Adam:
When you say "archived", will those articles/threads/posts still be available?
Yes.

Adam

09-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Why can't there just be a sub-section for each major camera that Pentax offers? I agree that once they are old they should get archived.... But I think it would be a shame to combine the K-S1 with any of the other sub forums: K50 or K-5 or K-3. That would erase the entire point of having sub-forums.
09-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well putting it with K-50/K-500/K-30 sounds logic sharing the PRIME M. Beïng entrylevel.
09-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well putting it with K-50/K-500/K-30 sounds logic sharing the PRIME M. Beïng entrylevel.
But they're not the same camera..... Again, what is the point of having a subforum by camera model if all camera models are lumped together?

If this is what we're gonna do, then just eliminate all subforums and keep everything in a single forum.

Either divide them appropriately or don't do it at all.

09-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

At the moment the plan is to have a separate K-S1 forum, as well as an enhanced suite of resources for beginners who've picked up the camera. It'll be added shortly after the camera starts shipping worldwide.

Adam

09-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The KS-1 forum needs to be located at the end of the PF forum, between the broom closet and the Men's Restrooms.
09-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The KS-1 forum needs to be located at the end of the PF forum, between the broom closet and the Men's Restrooms.
haha. Will be interesting to see how the sensor compares to the K3 and the 16mp sensors. It might be a good performer,lack of AA filter and blinking lights may help in some weird way with image quality.