Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread

With the continuous activity in this thread I believe it suggests to unfamiliar buyers that there is a reason not to consider the brand by implying that responders are in agreement with the OP that Ricoh is bad for Pentax.

Since the thread content contradicts this opinion and is generally a catch all for attempts at humor, I suggest the thread be renamed to something that will not mislead naive readers.

Perhaps add '-Not!' or in some other way negate the title to identify the true nature of the thread.

I think our forum members in general have the opposite opinion from the title of the thread and our forum should help continue the brand vs knock it down inadvertently.

The home page thread 'reasons Pentax is not doomed' seems to be an attempt to do that.

This thread is an example of the fear, uncertainty and doubt the thread causes.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/274508-pentax-defunct.html

Last edited by crewl1; 09-30-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: punctuation
09-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, recently I have significantly reduced posting to the thread (essentially stopped reading and posting) for these reasons. For the same reasons I stopped using the 'PID' response in posts.

Re-Title and move to Pentaxian Lounge.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-30-2014 at 08:41 AM.
09-30-2014, 10:31 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I say that we keep it live until Ricoh bribes all the participants with 645Zs to stop posting.
09-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not suggesting we kill the thread, just take the sting out of the title.
I suspect posting there is therapy for some.
Personally I am a fan of cheese and bacon - wine and beer no, I don't partake.

09-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I respectfully disagree. Attempts at enforcing "political correctness" almost always backfire.

Moving the thread to the Lounge is probably appropriate but I think renaming it is unnecessary.

The fact that the recent Pentax Defunct thread references Why I Won't Buy a K3 is actually uncommon. When they do pop up they seem to get addressed pretty quickly. Leave things well enough alone.
09-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Moving the thread to the Lounge is probably appropriate but I think renaming it is unnecessary.
OK maybe that would do the trick.

Since currently it generally hovers at the top of the K-3 forum it has prominent visibility for investigators of the camera.

Bury it in the Lounge! (Where threads go to die )
09-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I respectfully disagree. Attempts at enforcing "political correctness" almost always backfire.

The fact that the recent Pentax Defunct thread references Why I Won't Buy a K3 is actually uncommon. When they do pop up they seem to get addressed pretty quickly. Leave things well enough alone.
not everyone that comes across that thread takes the time to sign up on pentaxforums and post a question. they happened to stubble across the pentax name, when they remembered hearing back somewhere but don't know the brand. The first title they see on the Pentax forum is about not buying the flag ship.... so they decide not to buy

its just negative publicity that isn't needed. kind of like the whole "PentaxIsDoomed" thing.

I'm honestly surprised the guy at Ricoh they interview didn't ask us to quit all that crap. you know they have seen it, and they obviously know the forum exists and want it to be here.

09-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I simply ignored the thread when it hit 10k posts.
09-30-2014, 03:28 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
its just negative publicity that isn't needed. kind of like the whole "PentaxIsDoomed" thing.
So we should not allow anti Pentax posts then, Right?
If they care at all they sould be delighted that the thread exists. Over 10,000 posts that are, directly or indirectly, making a mockery of an anti Ricoh post.
09-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I simply ignored the thread when it hit 10k posts.
It's not about forum members who know what's up, I am thinking of visitors and investigators of the brand/camera that don't have the knowledge to filter it and will take the presence of such a thread as a bad review.

---------- Post added 09-30-14 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So we should not allow anti Pentax posts then, Right?
If they care at all they sould be delighted that the thread exists. Over 10,000 posts that are, directly or indirectly, making a mockery of an anti Ricoh post.
I think you may be too close to this one. It is not clear to visitors that the 10k posts confirm or deny the thread title.
09-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Why I won't buy anything camera related that doesn't smell like bacon thread! There how's that!
Or the Why I won't buy a camera is I was beat senseless by lutefisk!
Just trying to help.
09-30-2014, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

I think you may be too close to this one. It is not clear to visitors that the 10k posts confirm or deny the thread title.
Well, I know this is a radical concept to some, but maybe it's a good idea to read beyond the first post in a thread before replying.

Edit: Your point about me being too close to this one is valid. As a thread participant, and even moreso as a moderator, I find a congenial, non confrontational; non back biting, testosterone spitting, my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad, schoolyard slap fest thread quite refreshing and beneficial to the forum.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-30-2014 at 04:29 PM.
09-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

This thread is an example of the fear, uncertainty and doubt the thread causes.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/274508-pentax-defunct.html
In both threads, the OP's comment upon the wisdom of a firm's marketing decision and it's imprinting of a logo on the back of it's flagship. There is no negativity about the product itself. In fact, both OP's appear to be pro-Pentax. I really have trouble comprehending how this would dissuade anyone from parting with well over a thousand dollars on an excellent product. That's not an impulse buy, a purchase at the check-out counter of your local grocery store. Measured against the negativity of Pentax in such well-respected sources as DPReviews, it's a dust mote.
Surely the potential buyer who was smart enough to accrue the money to lay out for a K3 also has the intellect to make an informed purchase.

---------- Post added 09-30-14 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well, I know this is a radical concept to some, but maybe it's a good idea to read beyond the first post in a thread before replying.

Edit: Your point about me being too close to this one is valid. As a thread participant, and even moreso as a moderator, I find a congenial, non confrontational; non back biting, testosterone spitting, my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad, schoolyard slap fest thread quite refreshing and beneficial to the forum.
Here, here! On both points.
09-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread

That thread... The "why I won't buy" one has been mostly useless for 90% of its life. Even with the problems I've had with the k3, if I were a mod I would have killed that thread a long time ago... Not for being anti- pentax, for just being pointless and having almost nothing to do with the original discussion since like page 3. LOL

And it absolutely gives new members the wrong idea. If you think anyone is going to read all those pages... Yeah right. It just looks like an anti-k3 sentiment is oober popular.
09-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand the case for killing it but this is the internet after all. Seems to me that, having paid dues by buying Pentax gear, we're entitled to speak freely--even when it's just silly.
Closed Thread