Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Open links in the same browser window/tab

Update: Rewording my post to avoid confusion, also changing title from "Don't open links in new window"

A suggestion, clicking on any link referenced in a post opens in a new window. Since all the browsers have an option to open link in a new window, I think it's good to open link in the same window, at least for internal pentaxforums.com links if not all.

A suggestion. clicking on any link referenced in a post opens in a new browser window or a new browser tab instead of opening in the same window/tab. Since all the browsers have an option to open links in a new window or a new tab, I think the default should be to open link in the same window/tab from where the link was clicked. If not all, at least this can be done for internal pentaxforums.com links.

Thanks

Last edited by yusuf; 11-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
11-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure if this is a conversation, and obviously I have no authority. If my reply to this thread is inappropriate here, feel free to let me know.

I like that the links (internal links to other referenced threads/pages) open in a new window, then I don't have to click "back" 100 times to get back to where I was, to the thread I was originally reading. Yeah, I could right click the link and "Open in new tab", but the way it is is convenient for me.
11-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with @severalsnakes - the default behavior has proven very useful to me.
11-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@MSL @severalsnakes well, opening in new window is just shift & click. Unfortunately no such option for those who want it in the same window.

11-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like links to open in a new window.
11-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
@MSL @severalsnakes well, opening in new window is just shift & click. Unfortunately no such option for those who want it in the same window.
I never knew that. Of course I'm willing to change my learned behavior and use two hands - where I could use just one previously - to accommodate your preference!!
11-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I never knew that. Of course I'm willing to change my learned behavior and use two hands - where I could use just one previously - to accommodate your preference!!
Hahaha, so kind of you, looks like majority likes the way it is so let it be

Well, here is my situation (see attached )

11-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hahaha, so kind of you, looks like majority likes the way it is so let it be

well, here is my situation (see attached )
holy frijoles!
11-17-2014, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree with the OP. Opening a link in a new browser window is bad user interface. It 'breaks' the back button.

A new browser window is an option that is best left to the site visitor. I prefer to make that decision myself. If I'm on a page that is a list of links to other pages and I know I will want to follow a number of them, I can exercise my option by right-clicking a link and selecting 'open in a new window/tab'. I do it frequently on this site. It's a great way to read a newspaper site..

I can understand that someone who likes this behaviour would find it convenient to have new windows auto-open when clicking a link, but I find it annoying.

The default behaviour in all web browsers is to open links in the same window. A web site that breaks that behaviour is bad UI. It's my computer--I want to be in charge of how the software on my computer behaves. Inconsistent behaviour depending on what site you visit is bad UI. There's a reason target="blank" was deprecated years ago.

from Top 10 Mistakes in Web Design

QuoteQuote:
Opening New Browser Windows
Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet. Don't pollute my screen with any more windows, thanks (particularly since current operating systems have miserable window management).

Designers open new browser windows on the theory that it keeps users on their site. But even disregarding the user-hostile message implied in taking over the user's machine, the strategy is self-defeating since it disables the Back button which is the normal way users return to previous sites. Users often don't notice that a new window has opened, especially if they are using a small monitor where the windows are maximized to fill up the screen. So a user who tries to return to the origin will be confused by a grayed out Back button.

Links that don't behave as expected undermine users' understanding of their own system. A link should be a simple hypertext reference that replaces the current page with new content. Users hate unwarranted pop-up windows. When they want the destination to appear in a new page, they can use their browser's "open in new window" command — assuming, of course, that the link is not a piece of code that interferes with the browser’s standard behavior.
11-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In most browsers options you can change how they open links. I have mine set to open in a new tab rather than a new window. Check your browser's options, or preferences.
11-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I like that the links (internal links to other referenced threads/pages) open in a new window, then I don't have to click "back" 100 times to get back to where I was, to the thread I was originally reading.
Me too.

Steve
11-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always open new links in a new tab. Works best/easier for me to manage tabs.
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@photolady95 @beachgardener It's not about new tab or the new window, it's about opening link in the same browser tab/window.

@severalsnakes @monochrome @AquaDome @photolady95 @stevebrot @beachgardener @MSL

Let me ask all those who supports opening in a new window/tab, what do you do when you are on Google, Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, Ebay or whatever those prominent websites? All of them always open links in the same window/tab.
11-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Google, Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, Ebay or whatever those prominent websites?
I still have the use of opening in a new tab. I use Opera for my browser on the 11 websites I have open. Opening in a new window just fills up the desktop and you really can't see which window you have open. With Tabs, I can see the name of every site I have open.
11-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I still have the use of opening in a new tab. I use Opera for my browser on the 11 websites I have open. Opening in a new window just fills up the desktop and you really can't see which window you have open. With Tabs, I can see the name of every site I have open.
and how do you open in new tab there?