Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Acceptable Alternatives to PayPal for the Marketplace

Thinking about putting some stuff up for sale here on the marketplace and wondered what people used as an alternative to paypal for payment?

thanks

05-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Postal money order.
05-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
while it provides a lot of security for the seller, USPS MO is such a hassle for the buyer, in addition to the cost of purchashing & shipping it. Unless you have big ticket items that is in demand.
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
while it provides a lot of security for the seller, USPS MO is such a hassle for the buyer, in addition to the cost of purchashing & shipping it. Unless you have big ticket items that is in demand.
I agree, in addition to adding a lot of time before the entire transaction is completed.

I was watching CNN and saw something about alertpay.com and a few others and wanted to know if members here had experiences with forms other than paypal.

05-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Paypal has an e-check feature, which takes a little over a week to clear but it doesn't incur a fee for either party. If the seller is willing to wait a week, this method has worked for me.

But that week where hundreds were taken from my bank and I didn't have a camera to show for it was very long indeed. I wasn't concerned about the seller (since he was from this forum and had a good history), instead I was eager to get the product.
05-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I dont know if you are willing to sell to Overseas, but if so, Paypal is really the most viable (only) alternative. Overseas buyers make for a much larger market I would suggest, and being on the Forums, quite an honest lot, be assured.
05-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In Australia each bank/state/branch has a unique BSB id number; with net banking we can transfer from own acct to anyone's BSB+acct number free of charge (well ... there may be a limit of 5-10 free transfers per month after that it costs $2 each time). I say US banks should grow up & implement something similar.
05-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm in Europe, and I doubt there are other payment methods.

Of course, western union and such could be used with trustworthy forumers.

05-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Google Checkout costs half as much as PayPal. The payment takes about three days to be put into your bank account, but it is done automatically. As a seller, Google Checkout is preferrable!

checkout.google.com

If someone wants to get set up, I can assist.
05-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I second Tom's plug for Google Checkout. It's definitely easier to deal with than Paypal and you're not geographically limited as to where you can use it.

Another option if you're dealing with a sale in the US is http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com. It's free for everybody.

Heather
05-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest google checkout so I third the above motion.
In addition, where available there is email. I do Canadian transactions via email for those that have online banking.

Postal money orders are a pain AND expensive and, Exchange rates are NOT favourable.
05-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I say US banks should grow up & implement something similar.
ROFLMAO!!! Then how could they rape us by having a service charge for everything?
05-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #13

another fan of google checkout.
05-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
ROFLMAO!!! Then how could they rape us by having a service charge for everything?
Can't rape the willing.
05-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #15

paypal alternative

I personally think paypal and ebay fees suck! A MO or per chk always works for me and I haven't been stung yet! Most people are honest and if in doubt, don't deal with them. We have Amscot chk cashing service here in FLA. and their MO's are FREE