Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simplify and shorten forum rules

From time to time I get a "friendly reminder" from a moderator about something I did that was against the forum rules. I really do try to read the rules and do my best to post responsibly but OMG is this place run but grumpy old men with nothing better to do than to nitpick and police us? It's a rather unpleasant experience to get a "reminder" especially if one cannot then reply to the moderator. We are not school kids that need to policed 24/7, for Pete's sake. Please, use more common sense and let's not make this a little "police state". Honestly, sometimes it feels like moderator's here are a power trip. It's just silly sometimes, really.
Andrew

01-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, there certainly are a lot of rules, especially in the marketplace. I think a re-write of the sticky would be helpful as we've been tacking things on as time went on.

If you'd like to reach out to the moderators, you can do so here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=contactmoderator

Rule reminders, however, carry no punitive consequence and therefore need not be disputed. They're designed to let people know about the rules in case they didn't know.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The overwhelming number of members here never get more than one infraction, if that. I myself have received one, and I'd bet the other mods have too at some point. But it's also interesting how a few who get more than one start shouting about moderators being over zealous, when in fact, the mods are only doing what they are supposed to be doing. The bottom line is the person who gets the infraction is the one to blame, not the moderators or the rules. Some people have the misconception that issuing infractions is fun. It's not, it's a PITA. If there's a question about a specific rule, the mods are always glad to answer it, as far as I know.

Before this discussion gets to far along, be aware of this rule:

QuoteQuote:
Discussion of moderator actions in open posting is not allowed. Any objection to a moderator's punitive course of action or conflicts with other staff members are handled by an appeal process to the site administration. To file an appeal, please fill out this form and describe or quote the action/comments which you believe to be unfair. Your request will then be evaluated by a panel of moderators and a decision will be reached which may or may not override the original course of action. Decisions reached through the appeal process are final.
01-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
the person who gets the infraction is the one to blame, not the moderators or the rules.
Tom, I understand that you are only enforcing the rules. So did the guards at Treblinka, just saying that to make my point clear. Hobby forums are supposed to be fun and friendly, and this one for the most part is. But please take a look at the rules and put yourself in the shoes of an average user, who may not have tons of time to read countless volumes of fine print before. I suggest going back to KISS. Anyway, I have little faith that this discussion will lead to anything so I will just stop wasting my time.

01-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I propose the following rule set, for outside the marketplace:

1) Don't do anything that would meet expectations for what you might see in a grade school classroom.
2) No biting.

Seriously, aside from marketplace rules, the rules here are much less strict than other forums of which I have been a part. The rules here are mostly, "Please, just act like adults and have some sense. Thank you."
01-19-2015, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder which takes more time; reading the rules or complaining about them?
01-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Tom, I understand that you are only enforcing the rules. So did the guards at Treblinka, just saying that to make my point clear. Hobby forums are supposed to be fun and friendly, and this one for the most part is. But please take a look at the rules and put yourself in the shoes of an average user, who may not have tons of time to read countless volumes of fine print before. I suggest going back to KISS. Anyway, I have little faith that this discussion will lead to anything so I will just stop wasting my time.
Your point was clear when you said we were "grumpy old men with nothing better to do than to nitpick and police". Now you are comparing us to Nazis. If you want friendly, I suggest you try that approach yourself, as right now you are treading on very thin ice. If you can't read the Marketplace Rules in 5 minutes, which is by no measure a "ton of time", then perhaps you should refrain from posting there.
01-19-2015, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was a member of another forum that had little to no moderating. It was a free-for-all, and was so uncomfortable to be on, that many simply quit that site. I was a moderator on another very large site, and believe me, the last thing we want to do is "moderate" someone, as it's not pleasant for the mod either. Any "over zealous" moderators on most sites will not be moderators for very long. I find this site very pleasant and appreciate the work behind the scenes of the mods and administrators to keep it this way!

01-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
From time to time I get a "friendly reminder" from a moderator about something I did that was against the forum rules. I really do try to read the rules and do my best to post responsibly but OMG is this place run but grumpy old men with nothing better to do than to nitpick and police us? It's a rather unpleasant experience to get a "reminder" especially if one cannot then reply to the moderator. We are not school kids that need to policed 24/7, for Pete's sake. Please, use more common sense and let's not make this a little "police state". Honestly, sometimes it feels like moderator's here are a power trip. It's just silly sometimes, really.
Andrew
Given the number of daily threads, posts and members, there isn't a lot of moderation that has to be done to enforce the rules. I don't recall seeing your name popup so it can't be happening a lot.
Closed Thread