Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make it easier to swap to Full Site from Mobile view

I hate the fact that the forum opens in a mobile view when I'm using my iPad. So I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to select Full Site. Scrolling on an iPad is a pain in the backside. (At least with Chrome one can very easily get to the top of the page.)

Please put the Full Site selection at the top of the page.

01-27-2015, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is not the only problem with the iPad.
01-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can permanently disable mobile view in your User CP.

User Control Panel>Edit Options>Mobile Device Preferences (Near the bottom of the page)
01-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But that would affect viewing from the iPhone (which I rarely do).

I just checked and I have that already set to No but it doesn't seem to make any difference, I still get the mobile skin.

01-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed. It would be nice if it set a cookie when you switched to the full site, so you never had to make that selection again on that device.
01-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Trigger Happy Quote
Agreed. It would be nice if it set a cookie when you switched to the full site, so you never had to make that selection again on that device.
That's how it works right now. Not sure why you guys are having trouble with it remembering you, unless you're blocking cookies or clearing them after closing your browser.

For example, if I were to click on "full site" on my phone today, it should still how the full site tomorrow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

For example, if I were to click on "full site" on my phone today, it should still how the full site tomorrow.
With my Samsung Galaxy S4 + Google Chrome this doesn't happen : if I click on full site, next time (even in one hour) I will get the mobile one. No cookies cleanings, I am sure since every time I open pentaxforums.com I am already logged in.

01-28-2015, 01:07 AM   #8
Forum Member

That's how it works right now. Not sure why you guys are having trouble with it remembering you, unless you're blocking cookies or clearing them after closing your browser.

It doesn't work that way with Safari on iOS 8 for me. At least it's inconsistent. If I do a quick test (open the site; select Full Site; close browser window; open the same URL again) it does seem to work. This seems to be the case for pentaxforums.com or pentaxforums.com/forums. But if I restart the browser after closing the browser window, it usually goes to the mobile site again. I'm tempted to say "always" but I *thought* I had seen it correctly reload the full site once or twice, though I can't seem to make it do that now.

There's something not working with the cookie. Perhaps its lifetime is too short (browser session). Or it could be an iOS / Safari bug storing the cookie. In any case, it usually doesn't work - every time I visit pentaxforums.com on my iPad I am "starting fresh" (most likely Safari was killed by the OS since the last time I visited the site) and it shows me the mobile site.
01-28-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There may have been a glitch in the system. Try it again and see if this time, it sticks.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2015, 01:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Seems to work for me now Thanks!
01-28-2015, 02:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes, now it seems to work as supposed! Thanks.
01-31-2015, 02:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Regrettably, it's still reverting to mobile view - but not every time.
01-31-2015, 02:58 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Regrettably, it's still reverting to mobile view - but not every time.
The cookie is stored by browser/device, so, assuming your profile settings don't disable the mobile skin, it will revert only if you switch to a new device, switch to a new browser, clear your cookies, or open a private window, etc.

Adam

01-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The cookie is stored by browser/device, so, assuming your profile settings don't disable the mobile skin, it will revert only if you switch to a new device, switch to a new browser, clear your cookies, or open a private window, etc.
I don't think I'm clearing cookies. I use the same browser (Chrome) on both my PC and iPad with multiple tabs open covering about four fora I visit every day (being Admin on one and Mod on another), I'm there all the time. I don't clear cookies all that often and very, very rarely use a private window.

I'll try opening one of the other fora with a mobile skin.,