Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travel tips - New forum

I see Lowell raised the idea of a Travel Planning Forum many years ago (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/31960-suggestion-...ing-forum.html). He was thinking of a place where folks could summarize the best or worst in a city, but others were perhaps looking more for guidance on what gear to take or what to photograph in a particular location. Although a new subforum was set up under the guides of (Photo Trips and Travel Planning') it seems to have morphed into something else (Gatherings, Events, and Groups - PentaxForums.com). I'm not sure of all the history here, but it does seem like there might still be a purpose to a forum on asking about what gear and sites for a particular location. I know I'd like to ask about an upcoming trip I have planned, and right now I'm not sure where best to post the question.

03-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I see Lowell raised the idea of a Travel Planning Forum many years ago (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/31960-suggestion-...ing-forum.html). He was thinking of a place where folks could summarize the best or worst in a city, but others were perhaps looking more for guidance on what gear to take or what to photograph in a particular location. Although a new subforum was set up under the guides of (Photo Trips and Travel Planning') it seems to have morphed into something else (Gatherings, Events, and Groups - PentaxForums.com). I'm not sure of all the history here, but it does seem like there might still be a purpose to a forum on asking about what gear and sites for a particular location. I know I'd like to ask about an upcoming trip I have planned, and right now I'm not sure where best to post the question.
I think the forum you linked above would be a suitable place for those kinds of discussions. I'm happy with the current granularity of the forums and I think if anything, perhaps we have a few too many.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2015, 04:42 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam,
Fair enough. Would changing the forum title to "Gathering, Events, Travel tips and Groups" be too much of a mouthful. I think it would help make it clear that this is where the requests should go, rather than in the General Photography forum which is where I find most of them these days..
03-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Adam,
Fair enough. Would changing the forum title to "Gathering, Events, Travel tips and Groups" be too much of a mouthful. I think it would help make it clear that this is where the requests should go, rather than in the General Photography forum which is where I find most of them these days..
If I can add my two cents worth here

The idea I initially had was to discuss locations, because for me, gear is much too personalized. Every one has a different shooting style etc, and not everyone has the same views on what to take,

It is the same when people ask about lens recommendations. Many responders IMPOSE their gear into the solution. I am probably just as guilty in this, it's human nature after all..

But tips on what to see, how to get there, things to avoid, best times to go, at a location are important.. It just never took off when I tried starting it.

03-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
gear is much too personalized.
Lowell,
I agree with you on this - but I would say an exception might be if someone wanted to travel light and was asking for ideas on which subset of lenses to take, based on the likely objects/scenes they might have a chance to shoot.

I see a fair number of threads like this in the general photography section, so I think there is a desire for this, but not necessarily in a focused forum.

I have no problems with people's imposed views - I treat it all as data points and filter out those where the bias makes the data unhelpful.
03-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've gone ahead and changed "gatherings" to "travel" and also rearranged the forums a little bit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. That is probably all that is needed, except maybe a bit of advertising to encourage postings of specific travel related questions in this forum.