Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Price watch ebay ad's PLEASE STOP

So maybe i'm the only one but i doubt it, The price watch section ebay post's are killing me. They always seem to line up with items i am watching, once it hits on here the prices shoot up quick alot of times. I know others are out there watching the same auctions but lets keep them to our self's . I think posting treading items like Pentax DA 40mm F2.8 XS with consistent buy it now pricing is fine. So i am asking that we collectively stop putting all the hidden gems and great deals in the pentax price watch section. I wan't my goodies cheap

03-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It seems a little silly to put any auction-style listing in the price watch except for rare items that have interest simply because one is available. Everything will go up to its normal going rate by the time the auction is finished. Auctions that have low prices on them are LESS likely to be great deals by the end because they attract more bidders. (Whether or not anybody posts about it here.)
03-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah i know it being posted here doesn't drive the price completely but it does put extra attention on items. I guess I was venting more than anything.
03-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There is a persistent misperception among ebay neophytes that because an item currently has a low price and maybe zero or only a few bidders that there is little interest and a deal is to be had, when in-fact the real bidding usually occurs in the last few seconds and the prices are pretty stable. There are deals to be found, but there are always other factors in play. Nothing goes unnoticed on ebay unless it is actually hidden is some way, i.e. any lens that obviously is what it is and is from a reputable seller is going to go be in the price range that that lens usually goes for...

03-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And one of my buddies who bought and sold on eBay regularly had, a friend who'd buy his item if it was going too low. And he did the same for his friend. It's not that you can't get great deals, but blind luck at garage sales is still the big thing.
03-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We can try to post eBay links on Buy-now listings ONLY, and rule out auction listings.
03-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've only ever had a true steal 'once' on eBay, and that was because the lister didn't mention that buried among the utter crap of the camera's junk being sold with it was a Pentax-M 50mm f1.4. I won the auction for $12, then felt so guilty that when I realized that they had ANOTHER one going up I let people know it was there (it was from a Salvation Army eBay seller), and felt snuggly inside when that auction went for over $100.

Strangest buyer's remorse ever.

03-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only 'bargain' I ever got on eBay was my Pentax Adapter K. The seller had is listed as Ashai instead of Asahi...

This was in January 2010. I got it for like $20 shipped.
03-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Similar experience, good buys have all been over gear that wasn't labeled properly. People look so hard for these kinds of things, blurry pictures, or listings with no details that obscure listings of lenses with the caps on get more views than the rare ones like the FA* 200 macro.
03-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
You are correct we all look for the hidden/misrepresented items. My best was a k-30 full kit bag and all less than 300 clicks for under $100.00. The title and description was "Black camera" that's it pictures where horrible. I sent a message asking for details they told me everything worked great they just wanted a P&S didn't have time to figure the "big camera" out. SOLD.
But without a doubt if I see a look what i found on ebay in price watch I always take a look even if the price will rise rapidly. Does it have anything to do with it being on here maybe maybe not but when we see it here, we are all looking at.
04-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I completely agree. Once some dummy links to the auction page, it's basically all over and you'll be paying a premium price if you want it- all thanks to someone's unthinking public sharing of intel. You can bet that the person who posts the link has zero personal interest in the product, too.
04-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Does this mean I shouldn't post the link to the $2700 K-mount 50mm f1.2 which is gold plated with snakeskin trimming?

I agree with Stavri; we should post links to buy-it-nows only. At least there you know from the start whether or not you have the money and you aren't being left behind by people willing to pay idiotically high prices. (On the other hand, then they are gone with their needs met and funds exhausted, and what's left behind is more accessible.)

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
I sent a message asking for details they told me everything worked great they just wanted a P&S didn't have time to figure the "big camera" out. SOLD.
Dear God. I wonder how much they lost on that one. Did they not realise what they were buying? That's just jaw-droppingly stupid.

The ones I like to watch are the ones that are listed for prices similar to identical product elsewhere but which "have a small fungus"... and then you look at the pics of the rear element and it looks like six week old bread left out.
04-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
I guess I was venting more than anything.
You may have just been venting, but I think it's a valid request. I'm going to move this to the Suggestions forum. I like the idea of prohibiting eBay ads that don't include a "Buy It Now" option.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-09-2015 at 08:25 AM.
04-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Buy It Now ads at good prices AND ads for very rare lenses (no matter if auction or overpriced or whatever) are of interest. (Possibly not a "price watch" in the latter case, but still of interest.) But fairly common items going for auction there is little point...
04-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think posting only Buy It Now items (not auctions) is right. I don't follow eBay anymore but when I did, I would sometimes alert someone I thought might be interested to an auction item but never ever blast out a APB.