Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

I have a suggestion...

I am posting this here because I don't know where else to post it up. Please humor me for a minute and if it needs to be moved to the proper place by the mods so be it.

Since we get so many questions on the forum that tend to be along the same lines...ie 'which lens should I get'... I don't know how many different threads have been put up along these lines in the past several months.

My personal opinion is that a lot of these threads are not really about the qualities of the lens but rather are about 'which focal length' suits their needs.

My suggestion would be to recruit one of the more senior members who are very experienced in photography (and who have all the gear and maybe access to a studio setting or whatever would be appropriate) and have them approach a photo shoot with each lens, explain what they do and why they do what they do with each lens.

More specifically in my mind I am thinking of someone who has access to and/or can get a model to do a studio shoot with each lens. 15mm, 21mm, 31mm, 40mm, 43mm, 50mm, 70mm, 77mm etc etc.

Same photo shoot, same scene, same lighting, same subject, same camera, etc etc and then post up results with a brief explanation of how they did that shoot with that particular lens and possibly some of the quirks or difficulties or anything else noteworthy about it (IE you need more space with the 77mm in a small room or you need to get really close with the other lens or whatever)

Each lens shooting the same subject with skilled hands doing it all...post up the pictures and make it a sticky or a homepage article or whatever that demonstrates the uses of different focal lengths not only verbally but visually. I think it's important that it not be drastically different subject matter. IE find a pretty girl and take photos of her with different focal length lenses, but don't do a picture of buildings with the 15mm and a portrait of a girl with the 77mm. That is not the apples to apples comparison I am talking about.

I feel that this project would preemptively answer many questions of many forum members that are both new or who have even been around longer.

05-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This would certainly be interesting. For beginners, though, we already have an article that explains perspective distortion with plenty of different real-world scenarios:

A Guide to Perspective Distortion Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This would certainly be interesting. For beginners, though, we already have an article that explains perspective distortion with plenty of different real-world scenarios:

A Guide to Perspective Distortion Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I've read that one before (as I do almost all of the articles people take time to write) but I think that one isn't quite exactly what I personally have in mind for the project. I think a more direct approach using portraits as a baseline to compare actual lenses to lenses would be pretty helpful.

Just generally talking about that stuff is great but I am thinking of a much more pointed very lens specific 'testing' that compares the focal length of each lens in the Pentax lineup.

---------- Post added 05-20-15 at 08:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For beginners, though, we already have an article that explains perspective distortion with plenty of different real-world scenarios:
On second thought this kinds of points to what I am talking about though... 'different real world scenarios'... I am talking about not having different scenarios. Same scenario, different lens.