Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Malware infection?

Avast! webshield is giving me a malware block when I access most pages of the forum. The error message is: "http://23.235.39.129/js/<shifting random number>.skimlinks.js"; Infection: "URL:Mal"

Happens with Firefox and Chrome, but not Opera.

Is this a valid block or a false positive, Adam?

Cheers,
Lou

06-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Skimlinks is for affiliate marketing I think? I do see that present in the source code on this site, so it probably is a false alarm. (I don't get any alerts anyway.)
06-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like another renegade squirrel got loose on here to me......maybe Adam has another answer for you, but meanwhile I will drag out the traps again and see what I can do for you!

Best Regards!

Sunflower seeds will trap them every time!
06-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #4

I use both FireFox and Avast! and have not been getting these warnings. I do have a tracker/ad blocker (Ghostery) and a cookie manager (Cookie Monster) added on to FireFox however.

I am on the latest release version of Firefox. Suggest you make sure FireFox is current and run full scans with Avast! and another scanner such as Malawarebytes.

06-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The scripts that support the affiliate links are specific to the sites being serviced and are served out of a queue maintained by the company that provides the ads. (The scripts are served from an outside server.) I suspect that one or more of those ads linked to IP addresses with a known danger potential or that there are dangerous elements (usually malformed URLs) in the scripts themselves and that the ad provider has since pulled those ads from the queue.

Steve
06-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The skimlinks script on the forum shouldn't have a rotating random number and it should be served from s.skimlinks.com. That IP could be one of their CDN's, but I would recommend checking your browser for any adware or malicious add-ons that might be injecting the script. If you don't find any, it's probably a false positive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AdBlocker+ seems to have solved the problem. For some reason I had turned it off (or one of the renegade squirrels outside my front door).

Thanks,
Lou