Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That's an invalid assumption--at least in my case. I may PM a question but often it's, "I'll take it if it's still available--what's your PayPal?" I make no assumption that--just because I may be first--the seller must take my offer. If I'm selling and I get several offers, I will consider who responded first--but it's certainly not the only factor I'll consider in deciding to whom I make the sale. And I'll look to the date/time stamp on the message--not the thread--to figure out who's first.
That's fine. I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I don't suppose any of the people posting in this thread have issues with Marketplace Etiquette. In the end, it really does come down to communication and the more the better. As long as people know exactly what they are buying and aren't surprised, then they should be satisfied.

06-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #62
Pentaxian

I have a pretty good marketplace rep but, as a buyer, I do all communication by PM. Posting to the thread seems totally senseless and a waste of everyone's time. But, hey, I'm an east-coast American.
Sometimes I want to check sales without login, and the PM sent notice in the thread is actually convenient to see if I need to log in and respond.
06-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #63
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I'm selling and I get several offers, I will consider who responded first--but it's certainly not the only factor I'll consider in deciding to whom I make the sale. And I'll look to the date/time stamp on the message--not the thread--to figure out who's first.
If it's offers, of course it's up to the seller to accept the one that fits his needs, whether that offer is first or not. However, if it's replies to buy at listed price, then the first one replying should be the one that gets the item. To me, that is Marketplace etiquette.
06-21-2015, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
If it's offers, of course it's up to the seller to accept the one that fits his needs, whether that offer is first or not. However, if it's replies to buy at listed price, then the first one replying should be the one that gets the item. To me, that is Marketplace etiquette.
One exception to that would be if for some reason you find the buyer possibly "sketchy" or just unknown. I'm not *obligated* to sell to anyone. Or in my listings I will often say that I prefer to ship within USA but will consider elsewhere depending. So an overseas buyer unfortunately has to meet a stricter criteria due the increased risk and hassle of shipping there. I mean I've gotten PM#1 several times from a new user/unknown poster that joined the forum just to respond to my listing, saying "I'll take it, ship it to Thailand please." And I mean I sympathize if that person is legit, but I just ain't gonna do that for a total unknown. (Part of the reason for this is just time zones -- I often list at night and go to bed, so this gives those in Australia or where ever an advantage in seeing the listing first simply because they are awake.)

06-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #65
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I absolutely agree with your post! There's always exceptions; and you named some excellent ones!
06-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
One exception to that would be if for some reason you find the buyer possibly "sketchy" or just unknown. I'm not *obligated* to sell to anyone. Or in my listings I will often say that I prefer to ship within USA but will consider elsewhere depending. So an overseas buyer unfortunately has to meet a stricter criteria due the increased risk and hassle of shipping there. I mean I've gotten PM#1 several times from a new user/unknown poster that joined the forum just to respond to my listing, saying "I'll take it, ship it to Thailand please." And I mean I sympathize if that person is legit, but I just ain't gonna do that for a total unknown. (Part of the reason for this is just time zones -- I often list at night and go to bed, so this gives those in Australia or where ever an advantage in seeing the listing first simply because they are awake.)
I can easily agree with that.
I too had a few "calls" from Asia and the potential buyers had no Markeplace feedback ...
Then, when I replied to them that shipping would be quite expensive, I was being offered a "lowballed" deal that I couldn't live with.

I did send a few items successfully to far away places such as Australia, Germany, Singapore and the buyers had agreed to all the rules I had set in order to have a pleasant transaction.

As for the "etiquette", I would say that the great majority of buyers here on the Markeplace follow the rules and have proper communication skills.

JP
06-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, if it's replies to buy at listed price, then the first one replying should be the one that gets the item. To me, that is Marketplace etiquette.
I don't agree with that--I reserve the right to consider other factors.

06-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't agree with that--I reserve the right to consider other factors.
If you'll read my previous post; I agreed that there were other factors to be considered!
06-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you'll read my previous post; I agreed that there were other factors to be considered!
Right. We're good.