Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 06:28 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Marketplace Etiquette

I don't know if I am posting this in the right spot or not so Mods please move it to the right area if this is not it.

It has come to my attention that several forum members have had some less than stellar experiences on the forum. I am posting this with the hopes that other people chime in and share their opinions.

As a seller please represent the item that you are selling as it is. Please know that many forum members are extremely particular about their gear so try to point out things so that there is little to zero chance for miscommunication. It helps tremendously if there are clear pictures of the actual item being sold. Let them see the glass. Let them see the flaws. If I don't care that there is a scratch across the lens cap and you don't care about a scratch across the lens cap then everyone is happy. If you don't tell me and I find out later...to me if I am particular then I end up with a surprise that I didn't want.

In other words be honest in your dealings with your fellow Pentaxians. That should go for anyone, but especially here. It may sound counter intuitive to point out flaws on a 30 year old lens but at the end of the day the buyer needs to know what he/she is getting into.

As a buyer
please conduct all price negotiations via PM. If you are interested in an item it is customary here on the forum to post something in the comments section indicating your interest. Random PM's with no post often lead to a lot of confusion. Negotiation is fine. We all do it. Lowballing is not. IE I have a mint 31mm and a mint A series 50mm f1.2 both still in the original boxes and the seller gets a PM (with no post) 'I will give you $800 bucks for both'...

This is not cool. Please be respectful and know what you are trying to buy. Search the archives if needed.

Please be prompt on payment. If you ask for and get paypal info, use it. I tend to have the 24 hour rule or less whenever possible. If you say you're gonna get it pull the trigger. Getting all set up and saying 'I will be back with you to pay in 2 weeks' has happened to me at least 2 or 3 times here and inevitably it leads to hard feelings.

There is often no rush on things...but do your homework and be ready. It's not to pressure you to a sale or a buy but think of the seller... getting 15 PM's from 4 different people all asking about the same thing, all getting paypal information, no one posts on the thread.... and in the end it turns into chaos and if one person loses out they get mad. I have had it happen before.

Inquire and ask as many questions as you want but there is a difference between that and what I am talking about.

Anyone else please add whatever you feel is needed to this thread.

Last edited by alamo5000; 06-17-2015 at 06:35 AM.
06-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well said !

I have experienced several PM's with no comment in the thread, some with "lowballing" offers; a very annoying way of conducting "business".
And, if I may add this: different sellers with similar items ... "undercutting" for the sake of a quick sale often leads to depreciating a valuable item.

JP
06-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alamo, this is a very informative post that really should be read by everyone! I've had extremely good dealings on the Marketplace, both buying & selling; but others may not be as fortunate.

Thanks!
06-17-2015, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the other hand...

As a buyer, I don't always post in the thread, as I don't want to increase my competition for the item by pushing the thread back to the top of the Market Place forum.

As a seller, low ball offers don't upset me, as all I have to do is reply that I am not willing to consider that low of price at this time.

Tim

06-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
As a buyer, I don't always post in the thread, as I don't want to increase my competition for the item by pushing the thread back to the top of the Market Place forum.
Since it isn't an auction site, not sure why you'd be worried about competition. (Unless you are a lowballer and wish to convince the seller that their item is overpriced, but you do not actually believe that.) Most PMs as a buyer should consist of "I'll take it" or maybe some question. If someone "stakes their claim" with interest, even though there may need to be some discussion about it first, I'm not about to go selling it out from under them because someone else sends me another message while I'm doing that. Whereas if you post the customary "PM sent" you are telling everyone else also that "I'm first in line" so it may even lessen your competition if others think it is already spoken for. I find that most serious buyers will do that, and it is helpful to keep track of things. (And as a seller it makes me look more favorably on you as a buyer.)
06-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Since it isn't an auction site, not sure why you'd be worried about competition. (Unless you are a lowballer and wish to convince the seller that their item is overpriced, but you do not actually believe that.) Most PMs as a buyer should consist of "I'll take it" or maybe some question.)
No, I'm not a low baller. I do often have questions. If my questions are answered satisfactorily, I will commit to the purchase. No thread post during the whole process.

Sell to me or not. It is not a big deal.

Tim
06-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
No, I'm not a low baller. I do often have questions. If my questions are answered satisfactorily, I will commit to the purchase. No thread post during the whole process.
I get it, but it's slightly rude IMHO (to avoid thread post)...

06-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have done my share of negotiating...but usually it's something like "this lens has been going cheaper than your listing...and here are 3 threads of sold items showing you are $50 too high" or whatever...

Personally I use the sold section as a guide of current market prices...

There is nothing wrong with negotiating at all. It just needs to be handled professionally and fair.
06-17-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Whereas if you post the customary "PM sent" you are telling everyone else also that "I'm first in line" so it may even lessen your competition if others think it is already spoken for. I find that most serious buyers will do that, and it is helpful to keep track of things. (And as a seller it makes me look more favorably on you as a buyer.)
I always post "PM sent" for an item I wish to buy. In the rare case that the PM wasn't received; this let's the seller know that there's an interested buyer. Plus, as you said; it's lets other know someone is in line to purchase it. If other buyers do not post in the thread, then other buyers have no idea if we are first in line, or what. To me, it's a simply courtesy to the OP, as well as other buyers, to make a post.
06-17-2015, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

And if you list a body as New or Mint, you better explain the black electrical tape on the pop-up.
06-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I always post "PM sent" for an item I wish to buy. In the rare case that the PM wasn't received; this let's the seller know that there's an interested buyer. Plus, as you said; it's lets other know someone is in line to purchase it. If other buyers do not post in the thread, then other buyers have no idea if we are first in line, or what. To me, it's a simply courtesy to the OP, as well as other buyers, to make a post.
Yep, exactly.
06-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And if you list a body as New or Mint, you better explain the black electrical tape on the pop-up.
Exactly!
06-17-2015, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with most of the statements here except that I don't think it is necessary to post intent to buy in the thread.

I have had great experience in selling and buying in the marketplace by taking reasonable care to review feedback of a seller, and being clear on my own sales as to the condition of the items I post and any shipping restrictions.
06-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It doesn't have to be intent to buy just expression of interest would suffice.
06-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Agree with most of the statements here except that I don't think it is necessary to post intent to buy in the thread.
Just "PM sent", that's all. And the seller should post "PMs replied to" or "still available" if nothing comes of those private discussions. It is all helpful...